Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Edward Harvey <eh...@chilsemi.com> on 2006/06/01 19:20:00 UTC

Is it a problem if I lose some of the revs and revprops?

Due to a corrupted backup, which I restored, I lost
	/repositories/IT/db/revs/34
	/repositories/IT/db/revprops/34
	/repositories/IT/db/revs/43
	/repositories/IT/db/revprops/43
	/repositories/IT/db/revs/70
	/repositories/IT/db/revprops/70
The most recent revision is 109

Should I care very much about the lost data?  If I spend several hours,
I can probably extract those from an older backup.

But if my only consequence is that I can't revert to rev 34, 43, or
70...  I just don't care to waste my time trying to restore those
things.

Can anyone tell me if any of the newer stuff is dependent on the older
stuff, or how serious this data loss is?

Thanks....

Re: Is it a problem if I lose some of the revs and revprops?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jun 1, 2006, at 21:20, Edward Harvey wrote:

> Due to a corrupted backup, which I restored, I lost
> 	/repositories/IT/db/revs/34
> 	/repositories/IT/db/revprops/34
> 	/repositories/IT/db/revs/43
> 	/repositories/IT/db/revprops/43
> 	/repositories/IT/db/revs/70
> 	/repositories/IT/db/revprops/70
> The most recent revision is 109
>
> Should I care very much about the lost data?  If I spend several
> hours,
> I can probably extract those from an older backup.
>
> But if my only consequence is that I can't revert to rev 34, 43, or
> 70...  I just don't care to waste my time trying to restore those
> things.
>
> Can anyone tell me if any of the newer stuff is dependent on the older
> stuff, or how serious this data loss is?

Yes, later revisions could depend on the now-missing revisions --
possibly even revisions that have not been written yet. Exactly which
revisions those are are determined by the skip-deltas algorithm
described here:

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/notes/skip-deltas

It would be best to recover the lost revisions from an earlier backup
if you can.