Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by "Swardstrom, Eric" <Er...@parexel.com> on 2001/11/07 20:38:37 UTC

Multiple Portlet Customizations

In the case where I have multiple HelloWorldVelocity portlets assigned to a
single user's portal, the customization feature on the portlet does not work
properly.  For example if I customize the title for the second instance in
Jetspeed both values are updated.  But the first instance is actually
changed in the users default.psml file.  However, if I hand edit the psml
file and assign different text values for each instance of the portlet, the
portlets will show the correct values.

This is also a problem when you have the same portlet on two different
panes.

I believe part of the problem is that the URL on the customize icon for the
portlet does not specify the specific instance of the portlet, only the
portlet name.

Having generic portlet functionality is very desirable for my
implementation.  For example I would like to have multiple stock portfolios
but unfortunately changing the stocks in one changes them all.

Eric

Eric D. Swardstrom
Senior Director - Systems Architecture

Perceptive Informatics, Inc.
200 West Street
Waltham, MA  02451

+1 781.434.5081 tel
+1 781.768.5518 fax
eric.swardstrom@perceptive.com

Re: Multiple Portlet Customizations

Posted by Frans Thamura <ft...@yahoo.com>.
Ya, it happen to me also.

if we use 1 portlet to more than 1 pane, all portlet will be use the sampe
parameter.

means if i use "X portlet" with max. all the "X Portlet" will be max.

Frans

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@mikon.com>.
Eric,
The root cause: The entry in the psml file is identified by the parent
attribute in the entry tag.  When the customizer adds a portlet, the
parent attribute is set to the name of the portlet, this when the same
portlet is used many time on the PSML file, the name is no longer
unique.

I expect the solution would involve assigning a unique identifier to
each entry in the psml.

Paul Spencer

Posted by Chris Kimpton <ki...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

--- "Swardstrom, Eric" <Er...@parexel.com> wrote:

> I believe part of the problem is that the URL on the customize icon
> for the
> portlet does not specify the specific instance of the portlet, only
> the
> portlet name.

The problem is not so much the url, as all portlets will get the
request.  The problem is the form input field on each portlet has the
same name - so all the instances think they are being told to update
their content.

Thinking on my feet (and backside!), I would have some kind of unique
identifier for each version - probably defined in the xreg file.
This should then be used as part of the name of the form input
fields.

Then when the portlets action processes the request, it knows which
input fields are for it.

For example, if you have 2 instances of the velocity portlet in the
portal, named say vp1 and vp2, for instance.

Rather than name the input field in the portlet as "text", name them
"vp1_text" and "vp2_text" respectively.

This can be done by putting the id into the xreg.  Then when the
template is built, it can look up its id and use the correct value.

Similarly in the action, the portlet can look up its id and look for
its own input field.

Hope this helps,
Chris

=====