Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Christian Carlow <ch...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/13 17:30:32 UTC

How to store manufacturer product name different than one given by customer?

Does anyone know how to store a manufacturer name for a product that
differs from the customer purchasing?  In this scenario, the customer
designs the part and provides the specifications and the company
manufactures raw materials to meet those specs.  The name the customer
gives the part typically matches the spec or drawing number but the
company reassigns it to an internal job number.

My users need to be able to select the product by either the customer or
manufacturer name.  I thought about storing the manufacturer product
name in the brandName field but it seems like the name of a Party is
meant to be stored in that field.

In my previous email I asked if a revision field should exist in the
Product entity for storing product revision numbers.  If this is not a
bad design choice then would it suffice to add a manufacturerName field
to the Product entity as well for storing the given manufacturer name of
a product?

Previously I tried tracking the manufacturer name by naming
Manufacturing Routes after the manufacturer name and related the part
being manufactured to get the manufacturer name but this introduced too
much complexity.  The simple method would be having the field stored
with the Product entity itself.

Re: How to store manufacturer product name different than one given by customer?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
You are correct in stating this.

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

Posted by Christian Carlow <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Carlow <ch...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the clarification Jacques. The name the company assigns to
the customer part it intends to manufacture will be stored in brandName
field instead of productName eliminating the need to add the productName
field to the lookup.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Christian Carlow <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Carlow <ch...@gmail.com>.