Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Rue the Ghetto <ru...@rubyghetto.com> on 2009/09/05 04:12:24 UTC

Version 0.8 won't die

Hi all,
I made the dread mistake of using apt-get to install couchdb. I created a
database while in 0.8, but everything choked when I tried to replicate from
my local 0.9 version. Since then I have been trying to get to 0.9 on this
Debian Lenny instance. I have uninstalled 0.8 with apt-get remove with and
without the --purge option. I have done manual searches eliminating any
trace of couchdb from the server. I have tried installing fresh from source
stable and trunk. Each iteration of removals and installation has involved
its own unique hurdles. But without fail, as soon as I get couchdb
installed, I do a curl test:  curl "http://127.0.0.1:5984"  and get
back {"couchdb":"Welcome","version":"0.8.0-incubating"}.

Any idea why version 0.8 won't die? Is this message just a holdover from 0.8
or is it really still 0.8 after hours of effort scouring it from my server?

Appreciate any info,
Rue

Re: Version 0.8 won't die

Posted by Richard Heycock <rg...@roughage.com.au>.
Excerpts from Paul Davis's message of Sat Sep 05 12:54:54 +1000 2009:
> > Any idea why version 0.8 won't die? Is this message just a holdover from 0.8
> > or is it really still 0.8 after hours of effort scouring it from my server?
>
> Now I assume the Debian packager (*cough* Noah) made sure that
> removing the package would make sure that any CouchDB processes were
> shutdown, but have you tried looking at the process table to see if
> there's still one hanging about?
>
> $ ps ax | grep beam
>
> Paul

You could also attach strace to the beam process to work out which
files it's accessing: stace -p <pid>

rgh

Re: Version 0.8 won't die

Posted by Rue the Ghetto <ru...@rubyghetto.com>.
PS: Replication is so unbelievably awesome! This is my first time having a
use for it, and it rocks. The issue that I mentioned before was having to do
with trying to replicate from 0.9.x to the rogue 0.8.
Best!

Re: Version 0.8 won't die

Posted by Rue the Ghetto <ru...@rubyghetto.com>.
Thanks. This was the it.

Re: Version 0.8 won't die

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Version 0.8 won't die

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 07:52:19PM -0700, Rue the Ghetto wrote:
> Didn't mean to offend. I just want version 0.9.

I'm kidding. Don't worry.

> > > I created a database while in 0.8, but everything choked when I tried to
> > > replicate from my local 0.9 version.
> >
> > You should have read this:
> >
> >  https://svn.berlios.de/wsvn/erlang-pkg/couchdb/trunk/debian/README.Debian
>

> I don't really care about the data in the 0.8 database. I would be happy to
> loose it (if I only could). So, this README just doesn't help much. Sorry.

It does explain why you couldn't replicate though.

> Is there a full list of files and binaries installed by couchdb? I am just
> trying to get to version 0.9 anyway possible. Something is hanging around
> making my life very miserable.

Try:

  $ dpkg -S couchdb

Or perhaps