Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <db...@tomitribe.com> on 2020/06/23 21:21:03 UTC

Base JDK for TomEE 9 in Docker (was Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache TomEE 9.0.0-M1 and Apache TomEE 8.0.3)

Hey, Rod!

> On Jun 23, 2020, at 11:45 AM, Jenkins, Rodney J (Rod) <JE...@nationwide.com> wrote:
>
> This may be a really dumb line of questions but.....

I've got a saying:

 - Ask a dumb question and look dumb for a minute.  Don't ask a dumb question and be dumb forever.

Anyway, better luck next time as your question is actually really good. :)

> Currently for TomEE 8, we use openjdk:8-jre as our base.  Does this (or should we ) make a change and make from another base?  If so, what base?
>
> For TomEE we have these profiles:
> plume
> webprofile
> Microprofile
> Plus
>
> Do we want the same profiles for TomEE 9 going forward?

The TCK tests I ran to get the 90% were all done on JDK 8 so for now we probably should put out the same four profiles for TomEE 9.0.0-M1 for JDK 8.

That said, to actually be certified in the future we'll have to pass on Java 11.  Passing on Java 8 is actually optional from a specification perspective.  We know TomEE 9 should always on work JDK 8 because we're creating these binaries by modifying TomEE 8.

Where that leaves it is it's pretty much our choice.  We could do either.

Maybe people who try out TomEE 9 in Docker might prefer to Java 11 be the base? (when we actually start testing on that JDK that is)

Thoughts?

-David

Re: Base JDK for TomEE 9 in Docker (was Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache TomEE 9.0.0-M1 and Apache TomEE 8.0.3)

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
We have images for TomEE 8 using both JRE 8 and 11:
https://hub.docker.com/_/tomee

How about we do the same for TomEE 9? We'll definitely want to pass the TCK
with Java 11, and very likely with Java 8 as well. I think it makes sense
that we put something that uses Java 11 in people's hands to get feedback,
and the Docker images offer a really quick way to do that.

Cheers

Jon