Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2005/07/07 23:57:09 UTC

Re: [csv] Creating a CSV component (2)

On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 00:15 -0400, Henri Yandell wrote:

<snip>

> So my proposal is that we submit Netcetera's CSV library to the ASF
> Incubator, with Jakarta (more correctly Jakarta Commons) acting as the
> sponsoring project. (I'd be happy to volunteer to be mentor the
> project). While in the Incubator we would add more unit tests on the
> code side, and make sure legal issues are comfortably handled.

+1 (i was thinking about creating a post saying the same)

has this moved over to incubator yet?

if not, maybe someone could put up a wiki page giving an idea what needs
to be done...

- robert

Re: [csv] Creating a CSV component (2)

Posted by Stefan Rufer <st...@netcetera.ch>.
On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Henri Yandell wrote:
> 2) Who are our initial list of committers? Any Commons committer; do
> the original authors wish to be committers on the codebase? Are Simon
> Hefti and Ronnie Brunner prospective committers?

I can provide the facts from our side here:

The original author (Urs Hardegger, a netcetera employee) is not yet a
committer, neither am I.

Simon Hefti and Ronnie Brunner do have the right to commit on
tcl.apache.org but I guess not in any other place yet.
   http://people.apache.org/~jim/committers.html
Consider that these two are busy seniors where it may be difficult to get
quick responses :-)

thanks for putting effort in this!
Stefan

Re: [csv] Creating a CSV component (2)

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Writing up an incubator proposal. Asked on the incubator list again
(hopefully more concisely) on whether we need to incubate or just get
a stamp of approval for the donated code.

Have attached early draft.

Hen

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steven Caswell <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 21:37 -0400, Henri Yandell wrote:
> On 7/7/05, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 00:15 -0400, Henri Yandell wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > So my proposal is that we submit Netcetera's CSV library to the ASF
> > > Incubator, with Jakarta (more correctly Jakarta Commons) acting as the
> > > sponsoring project. (I'd be happy to volunteer to be mentor the
> > > project). While in the Incubator we would add more unit tests on the
> > > code side, and make sure legal issues are comfortably handled.
> >
> > +1 (i was thinking about creating a post saying the same)
> >
> > has this moved over to incubator yet?
> >
> > if not, maybe someone could put up a wiki page giving an idea what needs
> > to be done...
>
> Researching what would need to be done now. Sorry for the long delay
> on all this. Time to get some momentum.

thanks for the hard work picking this up :)

> There are two threads in this, turning Netcetera's component into a
> Commons component, and how does the Commons want to use the Incubator.
>
> On the first subject:

<snip>

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 7/7/05, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 00:15 -0400, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > So my proposal is that we submit Netcetera's CSV library to the ASF
> > Incubator, with Jakarta (more correctly Jakarta Commons) acting as the
> > sponsoring project. (I'd be happy to volunteer to be mentor the
> > project). While in the Incubator we would add more unit tests on the
> > code side, and make sure legal issues are comfortably handled.
>
> +1 (i was thinking about creating a post saying the same)
>
> has this moved over to incubator yet?
>
> if not, maybe someone could put up a wiki page giving an idea what needs
> to be done...

Researching what would need to be done now. Sorry for the long delay
on all this. Time to get some momentum.

There are two threads in this, turning Netcetera's component into a
Commons component, and how does the Commons want to use the Incubator.

On the first subject:

1) Netcetera have already donated Websh to Apache Tcl. I assume this
means that they have signed something in the process, does that apply
to any other submission or will they need to sign again?  [I have
asked general@incubator this question]

2) Who are our initial list of committers? Any Commons committer; do
the original authors wish to be committers on the codebase? Are Simon
Hefti and Ronnie Brunner prospective committers?

3) Obviously we would mavenise, repackage and improve
javadoc/unit-tests if need be. Anything else that would need to be
done to the codebase?

On the second subject:

1) How much of the Incubator process would apply to Commons? Many of
the exit conditions are automatically passed just by being a part of
Commons. [I have asked general@incubator this question]

2) .... Sandbox...Incubator...See my next mail. I don't want to mess
up the reply thread on this one.

Hen