Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/07 15:46:38 UTC

OSS Java AAC Decoder?

Does anyone on this list know of an existing open source pure-Java Advanced
Audio Coding (AAC) library?  If not, are there any audiophiles on this list
that would be interested in incubating such a project with me? :)  Do you
know of any barriers to such a project (like performance of a pure-Java
library being a problem given the complexity of the encoding)?

-T

Re: OSS Java AAC Decoder?

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 3:41 PM, Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu> wrote:
> Todd Volkert wrote:
>> Does anyone on this list know of an existing open source pure-Java Advanced
>> Audio Coding (AAC) library?  If not, are there any audiophiles on this list
>> that would be interested in incubating such a project with me? :)  Do you
>> know of any barriers to such a project (like performance of a pure-Java
>> library being a problem given the complexity of the encoding)?
>>

> I wouldn't know about the performance of Java in general, but certainly
> AAC(+) encoding isn't trivial. Decoding is somewhat easier, as usual.
>
> However, the whole idea is probably quite a bit problematic, because AAC
> coding, streaming and playback are subject to a ton of patents and
> MPEG-LA licensing. I wouldn't know how that fits withtin the ASF, but
> I'd imagine it's edge-case at best.

Yup, I'm pretty sure it won't fit well at all with our (C)CLA -- to
learn a bit more about the problems of AAC and such as combined with
open source, try and look for google chrome (which, IIRC, includes a
version of ffmpeg) topics on the subject -- (again) IIRC google pretty
specifically (sub)licenses or will sublicense a bunch of those patents
to chrome users and re-distributors which I imagine was a rather huge
can of worms for them to accomplish.

I can't find it now, but I could swear Chris DiBona actually did a
bunch of e-mails about such a topic together with one of google's
laywers. It might be worth getting in touch with them...

...also it seems like java is actually quite fine for
encoding/decoding of low-level high-bandwidth things like audio and
video, as long as you stay away from java.util.* and other high-level
stuff like that and you tune your GC appropriately :)

ciao,

Leo

Re: OSS Java AAC Decoder?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Todd Volkert wrote:
> Does anyone on this list know of an existing open source pure-Java Advanced
> Audio Coding (AAC) library?  If not, are there any audiophiles on this list
> that would be interested in incubating such a project with me? :)  Do you
> know of any barriers to such a project (like performance of a pure-Java
> library being a problem given the complexity of the encoding)?

I wouldn't know about the performance of Java in general, but certainly
AAC(+) encoding isn't trivial. Decoding is somewhat easier, as usual.

However, the whole idea is probably quite a bit problematic, because AAC
coding, streaming and playback are subject to a ton of patents and
MPEG-LA licensing. I wouldn't know how that fits withtin the ASF, but
I'd imagine it's edge-case at best.

-- Brane