Posted to dev@esme.apache.org by Imtiaz Ahmed H E <in...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/07 10:13:57 UTC

ESME-214...

Vassil,

I have been tutoring myself just a bit on stuff related to ESME-214,
container-based authentication, and would you be in a position to tell me
*exactly*  what needs to be done to make this 'resolved/implemented'.  I'll
go ahead and do that and submit a patch to the Jira ticket.

Dick seems to be the originator, and Ethan appears incommunicado for the
past week !

Imtiaz

Posted by Vassil Dichev <vd...@apache.org>.
Of course, go ahead and try to assign it to yourself. There are a
couple of tasks which I've neglected to maintain in Jira lately.

Vassil

Re: ESME-214...

Re: Fix for ESME-108 attached to Jira.

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.
I've looked at the current implementation and it is fine. I've tested
locally. I'll close the Jira issue once I've deployed on stax.

D.

Posted by Vassil Dichev <vd...@apache.org>.
Imtiaz,

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.
Hi Imtiaz,

I applied this locally and took a look. There are a couple of issues.
But first, thanks for working on this. It looks like there is a lot of
progress in this patch and I think most of it will be usable. I think
we all appreciate the work you have put into it. I know that I do :-)

The first issue is easy - The patch includes the fix for ESME-205 and
it shouldn't. Obviously one way to avoid this happening is to manually
specify which files to include in the diff. A better way is probably
to use a branch for this type of development. Unfortunately there
isn't really a way I'm satisfied with in SVN, and there isn't a way
we've settled on in this project, but I'd recommend branching.

The second issue is more difficult, and I'm not sure that my
preference is correct, however: My preference is that this should not
be a modal dialog at all, and instead should be inserted directly into
the "My Pools" page. The reason is that I think this is actually the
primary information that users will expect to see on the "My Pools"
page, and we should not ask them to click again to bring it up.

Perhaps the "My Pools" page should be changed to include a single list
of all pools that the user is a member of (basically what you have in
your modal dialog currently). In this list, perhaps we could have an
"Edit" button for pools in which the user has an Admin role. This
button might then trigger a modal dialog with the pool-editing
interface that currently shows up in the "My Pools" page when the user
selects a pool from the drop-down.

Was that clear? Do you agree/disagree? If it's not clear, maybe I need
to mock it up to show you what I'm thinking.

For the modal dialog itself, Can you take a look at the jQuery modal
dialogs that Dick set up? An example is when you click the "New"
button on the "My Tokens" page. I have no idea how it was done off the
top of my head. Maybe you did the same thing, but the one in your
patch looks different and we should probably use the same approach for
all modal dialogs.

Thanks,
Ethan

wrote:
> Vassil,
>
> I have been tutoring myself just a bit on stuff related to ESME-214,
> container-based authentication, and would you be in a position to tell me
> *exactly* what needs to be done to make this 'resolved/implemented'. I'll
> go ahead and do that and submit a patch to the Jira ticket.
>
> Dick seems to be the originator, and Ethan appears incommunicado for the
> past week !
>
> Imtiaz
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Hirsch"
> <hi...@gmail.com>

Re: ESME-214...

Posted by in...@gmail.com.
Will look at ESME-108 tomorrow
Imtiaz

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

Re: ESME-214...

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.

Re: ESME-214...

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.
Hi Imtiaz,

Yup, sorry to disappear with no warning :-( I've been traveling and
had a lot less internet access than expected.

Unfortunately I can't help a lot with this one in any case, as I don't
know much about container based authentication!

Ethan

Re: ESME-214...

Posted by Vassil Dichev <vd...@apache.org>.
Hi Imtiaz,

I guess that most people are on vacation in August, so it's a good
idea to write to the mailing list instead to individual developers if
you expect a fast reply.

Container-based authentication can be a daunting task if you've never
configured a container for authentication and if you're not familiar
with something like JAAS.

If you want to implement container-based authentication it will
probably be easier to look at Jetty's hash-based authentication or
Tomcat's tomcat-users.xml (sorry, don't remember exactly how the
authentication realm was called)

Good luck,
Vassil