Posted to users@opennlp.apache.org by Raj Vardhan <ra...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/04 11:28:27 UTC

parsing date-time range in natural language text with Apache OpenNLP

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to parse a natural language text using
OpenNLP to extract date-time range(s) from it.

For example, given input text:

> *I have a meeting on Friday from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm.*

Output can be something in XML or JSON string, with Friday detected as
05-Sep-2014 (assuming today is Thu 04-Sep-2014) and 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm as a
time range.

I am familiar with SUTime library, part of the Stanford NLP software, which
can be used to do this. However, I was hoping to achieve similar results
using Apache OpenNLP.

Please let me know if there is a way for this.

Thanks

--
Raj Vardhan

Re: parsing date-time range in natural language text with Apache OpenNLP

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 09/04/2014 08:39 PM, ravi jadhav wrote:
> I would like to contribute in making such type of a parser. I have opennlp
> code in my system. Is there a way to collaborate with other contributors
> who are planning to work on the same?

That would make a great contribution. I am sure there are others here
who are interested in
that.

The best way to start is to open a jira issue and maybe post a proposal
here on the dev list
which describes your solution.

Jörn

Re: parsing date-time range in natural language text with Apache OpenNLP

Posted by ravi jadhav <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I would like to contribute in making such type of a parser. I have opennlp
code in my system. Is there a way to collaborate with other contributors
who are planning to work on the same?

Thanks,
Ravi Jadhav

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by eunkyoung jo <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

The task of extracting time expression from natural language text requires
mapping numeric time into natural language string.
So, it doesn't depend on using OpenNLP.
And as i know, OpenNLP doesn't still have those utilities for various
languages.
please, find this. http://opennlp.sourceforge.net/models-1.5/

Other than that, how about finding  time expression extracting utilities
something?

sorry....

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

we don't have a component to parse time/date values.

The name finder will be good at detecting the time/date mentions.

It would probably be really nice to add a parser for those.
A contribution would be very welcome.

HTH,
Jörn