Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Martijn Dashorst <da...@apache.org> on 2011/09/08 00:17:25 UTC

Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

The Apache Wicket team is proud to announce the immediate availability of the
newest release of their component oriented open source Java web framework.
Apache Wicket 1.5 has been in development for the last two years and brings
many improvements over previous versions.

Downloading Apache Wicket 1.5
-----------------------------

You can download the release here:
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.5.0

Or use this in your Maven POM to upgrade to the new version:

<dependency>
    <groupId>org.apache.wicket</groupId>
    <artifactId>wicket-core</artifactId>
    <version>1.5.0</version>
</dependency>

Please note that Wicket’s main artifact ID has been renamed to wicket-core.

You will need to upgrade all modules (i.e. wicket, wicket-extensions,
wicket-ioc, wicket-spring, etc) to 1.5.0. It is not possible to mix previous
versions of Wicket with modules of this release.

Most notable changes
--------------------

With this release the Wicket team has revised many of its internals. A
short list:

 - HTML5 components added: EmailTextField, NumberTextField, UrlTextField and
   RangeTextField

 - New inter-component events (explained below)

 - Minimum required servlet API is servlet-api 2.5

 - All standard validators now extend Behavior to allow for client side
   validations

 - IBehavior has been removed and AbstractBehavior has been deprecated, you
   should now extend Behavior instead

 - Simplified the request cycle processing and made it more extensible

 - URL handling is now in one place

 - Wicket’s rendering code has been greatly simplified

 - Improved browser caching support

 - ClientSideImageMap replaces old ImageMap

 - Better support for running behind proxies with x-forwarded-for header

 - Request cycle listeners make it easier to integrate frameworks in your
   Wicket application

 - Consistent naming: methods with Javascript in the name have been renamed to
   use proper capitalization: JavaScript

 - Switching to HTTPS is as simple as configuring a new root mapper to make
   Wicket HTTPS aware and annotating a page with @RequireHttps

A longer list of changes and improvements can be found in our migration
guide.

Inter-component events
----------------------

Wicket 1.5 offers a simple, yet flexible, way for component to communicate
with each other in a decoupled manner. The two major interfaces that
facilitate this are:

	/**
	 * Objects that can send events
	 */
	public interface IEventSource {
	    <T> void send(IEventSink sink, Broadcast broadcast, T payload);
	}

and

	/**
	 * Objects that can receive events
	 */
	public interface IEventSink
	{
	    /**
	     * Called when an event is sent to this sink
	     */
	    void onEvent(IEvent<?> event);
	}

The classes that implement these interfaces, and can thus participate in the
event mechanism are: Component, RequestCycle, Session, and Application.

The mechanism allows for different event broadcast methods defined here:

	/**
	 * Defines the event broadcast type.
	 */
	public enum Broadcast {
	    BREADTH,
	    DEPTH,
	    BUBBLE,
	    EXACT;
	}

There is an example in wicket-examples which demonstrates the usage of this.

Applications can register custom event dispatchers in FrameworkSettings; the
dispatchers can be used to build custom event delivery mechanisms. For example
a custom IEventDispatcher mechanism can route events to annotated methods, for
example:

	public class MyComponent extends Component {
	    @OnEvent
	    private void onUserAdded(UserAddedEvent event) {...}
	}

where UserAddedEvent is the event payload object.

The default Component#onEvent method will be called even if custom dispatchers
are registered.

A default event is raised whenever Wicket begins to create an AJAX response.
The payload of the event is the AjaxRequestTarget used for event. Sample
implementation:

	// component that always adds itself to the ajax response
	public class MyComponent extends Component {
	    public void onEvent(IEvent event) {
	        if (event.getPayload() instanceof AjaxRequestTarget) {
	            ((AjaxRequestTarget)event.getPayload()).add(this);
	         }
	    }
	}

Re: Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

Posted by Adriano dos Santos Fernandes <ad...@gmail.com>.
On 14/09/2011 07:53, Martin Grigorov wrote:
> 1.5.0 is there. E.g.
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/wicketstuff/wicketstuff-browserid/1.5.0/
>
> But some artifact ids have been changed recently and maybe you look at
> the old ones.

That's what happened. Thanks!

Adriano

Re: Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
1.5.0 is there. E.g.
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/wicketstuff/wicketstuff-browserid/1.5.0/

But some artifact ids have been changed recently and maybe you look at
the old ones.

--
Martin Grigorov
jWeekend

Re: Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

Posted by Adriano dos Santos Fernandes <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Locke <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hooray!!

Re: Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

Posted by Carl-Eric Menzel <cm...@wicketbuch.de>.
On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 00:17:25 +0200
Martijn Dashorst <da...@apache.org> wrote:

> The Apache Wicket team is proud to announce the immediate
> availability of the newest release of their component oriented open
> source Java web framework. Apache Wicket 1.5 has been in development
> for the last two years and brings many improvements over previous
> versions.

Congratulations! And thanks to the Wicket team for the good work.

Carl-Eric
www.wicketbuch.de

Re: Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

Posted by "robert.mcguinness" <ro...@gmail.com>.
congrats everyone!  still loving this framework after many years.

Re: Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

Posted by Bruno Borges <br...@gmail.com>.
Thank you WTeam! =)

*Bruno Borges*
(21) 7672-7099
*www.brunoborges.com*

Posted by rebecca <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jered Myers <je...@maplewoodsoftware.com>.
Thanks everybody for all of your hard work!

Posted by Andrea Del Bene <ad...@ciseonweb.it>.
I think this version represents a very important step for the evolution
of Wicket. With 1.5 many of the core entities have been re-engineered
and the result is a great piece of software!

Posted by Olivier Dutrieux <ol...@pasteur.fr>.
very very nice. Thx for all your hard works

Best regards

Duto

-----
Duto

Re: Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
thumbs up :)

-Nino

Posted by Peter Karich <pe...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by gilbertoca <gi...@gmail.com>.
Martin Grigorov-4 wrote:

> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/wicket/wicket-extensions/1.5.0/
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/wicketstuff/wicketstuff-jasperreports/1.5-RC7/
>
> WicketStuff 1.5.0 will be released soon. But since Wicket 1.5.0 is
> actually RC7 without code changes they are fully compatible.

Thanks, Martin!
For now we are using the wicketstuff-jasperreports 1.5-RC7 and application
is working.
But all of our integration tests fails with the following exception:

> testLoginFormWrongAuthentication(br.gov.to.secad.seg.view.LoginPageTest)
> Time elapsed: 0.008 sec  <<< ERROR!
> java.lang.IllegalStateException: Application name can only be set once.
> 	at org.apache.wicket.Application.setName(Application.java:846)
> 	at
> org.apache.wicket.util.tester.BaseWicketTester.<init>(BaseWicketTester.java:291)
> 	at
> org.apache.wicket.util.tester.BaseWicketTester.<init>(BaseWicketTester.java:241)
> 	at
> org.apache.wicket.util.tester.WicketTester.<init>(WicketTester.java:192)
> 	at br.gov.to.secad.seg.view.LoginPageTest.setUp(LoginPageTest.java:32)
> 	at
> 	at
> 	at
> org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod$1.runReflectiveCall(FrameworkMethod.java:44)

And every test has the following class header:

> @RunWith(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.class)
> @ContextConfiguration(locations =
> {"classpath:applicationContext-dataSource.xml",
>     "classpath:applicationContext-jpa.xml"})
> @TransactionConfiguration(transactionManager = "transactionManager",
> defaultRollback = false)
> public class LoginPageTest {
>
>     private WicketTester tester;
>     @Autowired
>     private ApplicationContext ctx;
>     @Autowired
>     private SEGApplication myWebApplication;
>
>     @Before
>     public void setUp() {
>         tester = new WicketTester(myWebApplication);
>     }
>
>     @Test
>     @Transactional
>     @Rollback(true)
>     public void testRenderMyPage() {
>         tester.startPage(LoginPage.class);
>         tester.assertRenderedPage(LoginPage.class);
>         //tester.assertComponent("login", LoginComponent.class);
>     }

I've search in the google and wicket user list, but didn't find any
information about this problem.
Any tip here?

Regards,

Gilberto

Re: Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kailash Yadav <ya...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations and thanks for great work :)

Kailash Yadav

Re: Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

Posted by Nelson Segura <ns...@gmail.com>.
Woohoo! Thanks to all involved in making this happen. Now I can start
working in our migration!

-Nelson Segura

Re: Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

Posted by splitshade <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Congratulations, it's a Wicket!

Great work!

Re: Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

Posted by Marcus Breier <ml...@gmx.net>.
Congratulations to new 1.5 version.

M.

Posted by Per <pe...@hamburg.de>.
Thanks to all the contributors for their hard work! It's been a long wait,
so we're very keen to upgrade sometime later this year. Well done!

Cheers,
Per

Re: Apache Wicket releases Wicket 1.5

Posted by Bernhard Schauer <be...@openforce.com>.