Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Phil_M <pj...@yahoo.com> on 2007/01/10 17:24:22 UTC

Newbie Lost in the Apache Jungle

Well okay, the Apache live in a desert, but that didn't sound as good for a
subject line.

I'm trying to figure out which Apache products to use to easily build a
database application where the users would access the system via a web
browser.  From several hours of reading descriptions of various Apache
products, it seems like Struts might be the way to go, but I'm not sure.

My background is as a RAD database developer (Remedy & xBase, specifically)
who's read a couple of Java books.  I also have some network engineering
skills.

I'm looking for some kind of RAD suite/framework that will produce a highly
interactive client-side interface for the users.  If possible, I'd like the
application to be DBE independent.  My long-range goal is to deliver to
customers turnkey servers that are 100% open source.

I know this is pretty vague, but can anyone point me in the right direction?

TIA,
--Phil

Re: Newbie Lost in the Apache Jungle

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Yet another native guide:

* Java CRUD frameworks - http://kproject.gr/blog/?p=7

-Ted.

Re: Newbie Lost in the Apache Jungle

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Just to follow up on the Grails suggestion.

* http://www.infoq.com/minibooks/grails

-T.

Posted by Jason King <jh...@airmail.net>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Phil_M <pj...@yahoo.com>.
Leon:

Leon Rosenberg-3 wrote:

> That being said, why don't you want to write some code by hands? :-)

To tell the truth, that's why I'm looking into java based web solutions.  I
used to do quite a lot of hand coding, and my skills have eroded some since
using the 4GL stuff recently.  Needless to say, it is not a good thing for
my career to lose my coding skill -- the job market for java web developers
is much bigger than for 4GL developers.

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.
Hello Phil,

Personally I don't believe in perfect generated code (despite I have
written my own web-app generator, which generates complete web-app
architecture out of few xml files, but thats a different story since I
know what it generates :-) ), but if you want to take this approach
you may look around in the uml-tool market.
To drop in a view names: argoUML, poseidon and, of course, rational
rose. argoUML is free, the other both have community editions, and imo
are all capable of generating at least ejbs, reverse engineering,
relational data models, and all of that.

That being said, why don't you want to write some code by hands? :-)

regards
Leon

Posted by Phil_M <pj...@yahoo.com>.
Leon:

Posted by Dale Newfield <Da...@Newfield.org>.
Phil_M wrote:
> Since I'll be the only author until at least an alpha release is
> ready, I can defer CVS for the moment -- as you said, we need to
> avoid overrunning our brain's buffers.

I would caution against this.  The added difficulty of setting up a cvs
or svn repository is minimal (add an hour at most up front).  Even with
one developer, the benefit of being able to test out changes and if
necessary revert back to prior versions is huge.

It also provides a nice backup mechanism in case of hardware failures if
you keep the repository on a different hard drive than the code in
development.  It can also be helpful for one developer if he or she is
developing on more than one machine.

-Dale

RE: Newbie Lost in the Apache Jungle

Posted by Phil_M <pj...@yahoo.com>.
Bruno:

Thanks for your excellent reply -- if I understand right, you're suggesting
a java servlets based architecture (tomcat & underlying) for the application
to provide the interactive user client, struts for the framework, and
hibernate for DBE independence.  Since I'll be the only author until at
least an alpha release is ready, I can defer CVS for the moment -- as you
said, we need to avoid overrunning our brain's buffers.

Would you recommend avoiding portal architectures for the first version?
Many of the potential customers are government agencies, and they're big
into the portal models -- helps them avoid having to coordinate the work of
many different contractors.

Thanks Again,
--Phil

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <ro...@googlemail.com>.