Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Silas Snider <sw...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/31 01:55:45 UTC

[Digester] Ports to other languages

Hi.
Does anyone know of any ports of Digester to languages other than Java? I
ask because I have been using Digester for about a year now, and am now
being forced to use Python for a project at work that requires an XML
parser, and we are thinking about porting Digester over, but wanted to avoid
that if possible.

Thanks,
Silas Snider

Re: [Digester] Ports to other languages

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 16:55 -0700, Silas Snider wrote:
> Hi.
> Does anyone know of any ports of Digester to languages other than Java? I
> ask because I have been using Digester for about a year now, and am now
> being forced to use Python for a project at work that requires an XML
> parser, and we are thinking about porting Digester over, but wanted to avoid
> that if possible.

I tried to post Digester to Ruby a while ago. However I discovered that
Digester best suits a language where a class can be introspected to find
its members and their types. This just isn't possible in Ruby, and I
presume it isn't possible in Python either. Without this Digester cannot
automatically deduce the type conversion to apply for the
SetPropertyRule etc.

You can find the current Ruby port here, but I'm not claiming it is
worth using, not that it's truly rubyish (it was my first attempt at a
Ruby app):
  http://rubyforge.org/projects/xmldigester/

I don't know of any other ports of Digester to any other lanugage.

Cheers,

Simon