Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Marilyn Sander -X (marilysa - Digital-X, Inc. at Cisco)" <ma...@cisco.com> on 2007/02/22 05:34:20 UTC

Formation rules for repositories

Is there a definition someplace of what constitutes a valid repository?
I would like the definition both for local repositories and for remote
repositories.  I've read and searched BBwM;  read the docs in the "Maven
Getting Started Guide" on the Maven web site, as well as other docs on
that site.  I've google searched for documentation.  The best I've found
is one that I can't seem to find again.   It was an early spec for what
M2 repository data should look like, very good as far as it went, but
not complete. I need the formation rules and the semantics.

I'm trying to create a file:// repository.  I've tried a variety of
approaches trying to be clever and only populate it with what our build
needs.  Then I tried brute force, simply copying over the contents of a
maven proxy repository here into the location where I want the file
repository.  In any case, a build does not get far before getting the
message "The plugin 'org.apache.maven.pluging:maven-clean-plugin' does
not exist or no valid version could be found".

The odd thing is, it does get part way into the build, finding and
selecting versions for runtime.  However, I think the jars and versions
being selected are actually the ones in $M2_HOME/lib.

I did run cp -r -p to preserve permissions and dates and stuff, but I
did not do a tar or cpio copy.

Can anyone help?

thanks,
--Marilyn Sander

Re: Formation rules for repositories

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 2/22/07, Marilyn Sander -X (marilysa - Digital-X, Inc. at Cisco)
<ma...@cisco.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Wendy.  I'll have a look.  I've written up a few things for my
> own use.  It isn't complete, but it would be a start.

I started a new one, with the info Carlos provided:
   http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Repository+Metadata

--
Wendy

RE: Formation rules for repositories

Posted by "Marilyn Sander -X (marilysa - Digital-X, Inc. at Cisco)" <ma...@cisco.com>.
Thanks, Wendy.  I'll have a look.  I've written up a few things for my
own use.  It isn't complete, but it would be a start.
--Marilyn

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
plugins need maven-metadata.xml files listing all plugins available in a groupId

for instance http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/

All artifacts need maven-metadata.xml listing all versions, although
only for some operations, like version ranges

eg http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/maven-artifact/maven-metadata.xml

Snapshot artifacts need maven-metadata.xml in the version folder to
resolve snapshots

eg. http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/maven/maven-artifact/2.1-SNAPSHOT/

<ma...@cisco.com> wrote:
> Is there a definition someplace of what constitutes a valid repository?
> I would like the definition both for local repositories and for remote
> repositories.  I've read and searched BBwM;  read the docs in the "Maven
> Getting Started Guide" on the Maven web site, as well as other docs on
> that site.  I've google searched for documentation.  The best I've found
> is one that I can't seem to find again.   It was an early spec for what
> M2 repository data should look like, very good as far as it went, but
> not complete. I need the formation rules and the semantics.
>
> I'm trying to create a file:// repository.  I've tried a variety of
> approaches trying to be clever and only populate it with what our build
> needs.  Then I tried brute force, simply copying over the contents of a
> maven proxy repository here into the location where I want the file
> repository.  In any case, a build does not get far before getting the
> message "The plugin 'org.apache.maven.pluging:maven-clean-plugin' does
> not exist or no valid version could be found".
>
> The odd thing is, it does get part way into the build, finding and
> selecting versions for runtime.  However, I think the jars and versions
> being selected are actually the ones in $M2_HOME/lib.
>
> I did run cp -r -p to preserve permissions and dates and stuff, but I
> did not do a tar or cpio copy.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> thanks,
> --Marilyn Sander

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride

RE: Formation rules for repositories

Posted by "Marilyn Sander -X (marilysa - Digital-X, Inc. at Cisco)" <ma...@cisco.com>.
Thanks, that's very interesting.  I'll try it out tomorrow.
--Marilyn

This won't get you any further in finding the missing documentation, but
couldn't you just use the assembly plugin to create the repository (
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/howto.html)?

Kalle

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.