Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2007/09/14 09:50:14 UTC

Users of the release4.0 branch?

It has been nearly 5 months since we created the release4.0 branch (late April). The hope for these release branches is that they will stabilize within about 3 months and be ready for an initial binary release. In order for this to happen effectively each branch needs a reasonably sized subset of the OFBiz community doing real-world work based on it. So...

1. Are there any users of the release4.0 branch with projects in production or moving in that direction?

2. For anyone in that group, could you share your thoughts on the current state of the branch?

At the minute the initial binary release has been delayed because committers and the PMC have been very busy on other projects (quite a summer!), but mostly because there just don't seem to be many issues files specifically for release4.0 and because there hasn't been much feedback from users grouping around that branch. Hence this email...

Because of the passing of time we will release a binary version in the near future (perhaps a couple of weeks or so) regardless of the responses in this thread or other relevant threads. If nothing else that may help attract end-users to the branch.

Thanks,
-David

Re: Users of the release4.0 branch?

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
normally I get a client up and running with OOTB, like today.
then i add in the modules as they are needed.
in this case I will be adding in the Yahoo store interface later this month.

This lets the client start to get some familiarity and use, instead of
waiting till the project is complete.

I have found it also generated more customization as they see what they
want.

Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 9/14/2007 10:17 AM:

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Out Of The Box,

Great anyway !

Jacques

De : "BJ Freeman" <bj...@free-man.net>

Posted by "skip@theDevers" <sk...@thedevers.org>.
OOTB = Out of the Box, e.g. unchanged.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
BJ,

Do you use the POS OOTB ?

Thanks

Jacques

De : "BJ Freeman" <bj...@free-man.net>

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
I've done about 3-4 projects using release4.0 by now. Seems ok. Many features are incomplete, but
one could label those as "to be customized". Bugs are still around, some even show-stopping ones.
I'm still trying to gift-wrap OFBiz, so that I can finish up some docs I had been writing, and to
publish them somehow.

But... I think you should roll out a binary release soon, given how bugfixes have been applied to
the branch over past months, and how no new features/bugs have been added to it.

Not everyone likes to download via SVN. A binary release may attract even more testers. You can
always roll out updated binary releases over the next few months, which may suggest progress and
attract even more interest.

Jonathon

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
David E Jones wrote:
> Because of the passing of time we will release a binary version in the
> near future (perhaps a couple of weeks or so) regardless of the
> may help attract end-users to the branch.

I agree. It's probably a good time to put the R4 binary out there to help encourage people to use it.

Re: Users of the release4.0 branch?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
+1 for all below

Montly would not be enough ?

Jacques

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
I agree,

Posted by Ray Barlow <ra...@makeyour-point.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark

While I don't have any figures, the update should be pretty light especially
for the release branch which only sees bug fixing commits.  It would depend
on how old your snapshot is but even if it were over a month old I wouldn't
expect the update to consume more a couple of MB.

Regards
Scott

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Jonathon,

De : "Jonathon -- Improov" <jo...@improov.com>
> Jacques,
>
>  >> Our script will simply untar the tarball, and deploy the library files
>  >> automatically into the correct locations in the OFBiz file structure, plus
>  >> verify the library files. You can easily imagine how SIMPLE this script is!
>  >
>  > Yes, we should have a windows batch usint zip format (or like) too (7zip
>  > maybe a good tool for that )
>
> 7zip is great, strong compressor.
>
>  > But we can't hide the fact that this will need more work on the server
>  > side... It's easier to have all in one place.
>
> Easier, yes, I agree. Just like it's easier to put everything on the desktop, until we reach a
> point where we can't find anything on it. Maybe OFBiz hasn't reached that point yet? If so,
> there's really no point cleaning up the SVN now.

This is not my own decision but PMC anyway (or simple ML vote as we do for most things, because Apache way is not to hide things)

> But then, some people might like to download a compact OFBiz without 3rd-party binaries, and then
> to download those 35+MB binaries via a resumable FTP connection. You think we can provide that?

Always the HR ressource pb...

> Yes, it's true that each OFBiz SVN checkout takes merely 20-30 minutes, I have broadband. However,
> the number of clients complaining about SVN checkouts is rising! Or maybe I'm just getting more
> and more clients who don't like or don't do SVN. I keep having to send them a tarball of a checked
> out OFBiz (SVN workspace, with .svn folders), so they can do updates (smaller than checkout from
> scratch). I'm feeling like an FTP server.

It seems that you have also an HR ressource issue :o)

>  > And even this means updating more than binaries files with the version number
>  > in its name (LICENSE in root, when adding NOTICE,
>  > http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Libraries+Included+in+OFBiz).
>
> Documentation of which libraries go where in the OFBiz structure will always be needed. If the
> version numbers of each library is clearly documented in a text file, and the text file committed,
> we won't ever need to change the library's file names to reflect the version number!

True, but I guess there are some reasons we do that (more work, we are not fools). Sorry I can't remember why. Jacopo (who usualy is
the person who deals the most with this aspect) or David might explain if they read this message.

> The MD5 manifest of all OFBiz's libraries can also serve as documentation of which libraries go
> where in the OFBiz structure. Very convenient.
>
> A separate text file, conveniently copied and modified from the MD5 manifest, will serve as
> documentation of the version and source of the libraries, much like at
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Libraries+Included+in+OFBiz .

Waiting for an answer see above...

Thanks for your ideas (reality pressure gives us a lot of ideas ;o)

Jacques

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
BJ,

Yup yup. It's either the lack of manpower on my side, or on OFBiz SVN's side. :)

Still, as I originally said, I'll be happy to do this whole seemingly complex SVN trim up. This
particular issue is close to my heart (and I've done it umpteen times for my customized OFBiz
instances, practiced).

However, it's not just about me having the time to do this. There will be so many OFBiz users who
will need to get used to the sudden change.

Maybe later, when I put down the SVN move in detail in writing, including migration procedures,
then I'll repost this.

Jonathon

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks for your support BJ :o)

Jacques

De : "BJ Freeman" <bj...@free-man.net>

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Jonathon:

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Jacques,

Re: Rich client: licensing and other features

Posted by "skip@theDevers" <sk...@thedevers.org>.
Cameron

Thanks for your insite.  As I said, I agree with you completely.  Those of
us who implement systems for our clients have to use the tools which make us
the most productive, and especially so here in the U.S. with programming
labor rates so high.  My point about maximum usability was for community not
personal adoption.

You said, "I do feel that in what you say, there is an implicit, or perhaps
subconscious, moral judgement that anything which is not completely free for
anyone to use in commercial work, is bad."  This was not my thoughts at all.
We all have to make a living and I think the ZK folks have found a splendid
way to do it.  The issue here is not one of free/commercial.  It is instead
the ability to have the community as a whole adopt a standard that everyone
can participate in.

I also agree that data consistancy and accuracy is of paramount importance.
I guess I just take that for granted in my arguments.  On the other hand, if
a system is too difficult to use, people won't use it and so it doesn't then
matter much how robust your schema is.

Which brings me back to user friendly and intuitive UIs.  I am about to head
down the same path you took in the past and write a semi-complete set of
user interfaces that the clerks employed by my clients can use without a lot
of training.  I know I am not the first, and I bet I am not in the first
hundred.

Perhaps I'll set up a web site to collect Ofbiz add-ons that are outside the
Ofbiz mold and give the next guy a higher starting point.  That way, the
licensing issues, version compatability, etc., become moot.

Skip

Re: Users of the release4.0 branch?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Jonathon

De : "Jonathon -- Improov" <jo...@improov.com>

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
JLR,

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

De : "David E Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
David,

Maven 2 is the right solution to the problem. I know Maven has its own
problem but as long as separating the jars  from source is concerned
Maven is a good choice. Almost all of the ASF projects use it.

Thanks,

Raj

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Jonathon -- Improov wrote:
> For some time now, I had been suggesting that we DO NOT include the
> 35+MB binaries in the SVN. SVN is used to track CHANGES to files. Since
> we cannot change binaries (only source codes), binaries have no business
> residing in SVN. In fact, a guy who claimed he knows SVN, but who later
> proceeded to check in version after version of his project binaries, got
> fired. Yeah, it's that scary to see someone use version control app to
> maintain software binaries (pic binaries are fine).
>
> There's this argument put forth that "it's more convenient if we bundle
> the binaries in, so that new users can get up to speed quickly".
> However, new users who bother to use SVN should already be quite
> technically inclined, and will be able to run a script to "install"
> 3rd-party binaries into a deployment.
>
> As it is now, with the 35+MB (or more?) binaries in SVN, it simply makes
> it somewhat harder even for experienced SVN or OFBiz users to download
> OFBiz.

This really isn't so much for new users, it's for all users of OFBiz, and IMO mostly for the regular and highly involved users. You either manually manage it or let a system do it. There is no way, period, I'd personally go for this because it would cause significant problems without any real upside for 99% of OFBiz users and developers, most importantly the contributing developers that SVN is meant for.

Manual things cause huge problems for complex systems. The extra effort require to normally do it is a small issue, the huge time wasting caused by small errors in these manual processes makes them worth all the effort and downside necessary to avoid them.

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Hi Mark,

 > I have to add that I am using a satellite based ISP that while
 > higher speed than dialup, limits the amount of data I can download
 > (to 200 MB per day) except between 3am and 6am. I know this is not
 > ideal, but traditional high speed choices aren't available to me.

200MB isn't too little, unless you also have to download other stuff too. A usual update size is
about a few MB at most. HOWEVER, when there are changes to 3rd-party binaries, the update size can
go up quite a bit. Updating is usually not problematic (unless it gets disrupted, and the update
size is huge). It's the initial checking out that can kill you.

Even with high internet speeds, the http protocol for downloading via SVN can sometimes be
disrupted (and you have to start all over again). We have OFBiz students here in Singapore who
complain that they simply can't complete a checkout of OFBiz (we have high speed broadband). So,
we actually had to send them a tarball of a pre- checked out OFBiz (including .svn files). As I
said, updating (not checking out fresh) usually is fine.

[...]

Maybe this wasn't taken up because I didn't completely describe my recommended solution. So, here
goes!

1. Check out the latest OFBiz

2. Create an MD5 signature of all 3rd-party binaries.

3. Take out all those binaries.

4. Commit the MD5 signature.

5. Bundle those binaries into a tarball to be downloaded separately,
    outside of SVN.

6. Create script to deploy those binaries back into OFBiz file
    structure.

7. Commit that script.

Something like that.

Even the 4+MB Dojo can be packaged separately, rather than stuffed into the SVN! That'll be about
40+MB less to download from SVN (http protocol)!

I've done that umpteen times already, so if the OFBiz team wants me to actually do it for them,
I'd be glad to help.

David Jones recently mentioned "drop-in or add-in components". That is a sweet ideal. Shouldn't we
attempt to component-ize OFBiz then? That way, we can drop in Dojo or Prototype, Log4J version x
or Log4J version y, etc.

If anyone wants to know how MD5 signatures can help in both decentralized software development
teams and in legal documents, maybe read up on MD5 in wikipedia or something.

Jonathon

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
De : "Mark Erbaugh" <ma...@microenh.com>
> On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 01:50 -0600, David E Jones wrote:
> > It has been nearly 5 months since we created the release4.0 branch (late April). The hope for these release branches is that
they will stabilize within about 3 months and be ready for an initial binary release. In order for this to happen effectively each
branch needs a reasonably sized subset of the OFBiz community doing real-world work based on it. So...

> > 1. Are there any users of the release4.0 branch with projects in production or moving in that direction?
> >
> > 2. For anyone in that group, could you share your thoughts on the current state of the branch?
> >
> > At the minute the initial binary release has been delayed because committers and the PMC have been very busy on other projects
(quite a summer!), but mostly because there just don't seem to be many issues files specifically for release4.0 and because there
hasn't been much feedback from users grouping around that branch. Hence this email...

> > Because of the passing of time we will release a binary version in the near future (perhaps a couple of weeks or so) regardless
of the responses in this thread or other relevant threads. If nothing else that may help attract end-users to the branch.

> What is the procedure for working with a release branch?  I used
> Subclipse (in Eclipse) to checkout the release 4 branch and I have been
> working with a local copy thinking that the branch was frozen. The
> comments above sound like it is not.

Don't know if it's of any use to you : http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/Release+Plan

Jacques

Re: Users of the release4.0 branch?