Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Raul Cumplido Dominguez <ra...@voltrondata.com> on 2022/06/27 10:46:40 UTC

[Nightly builds] Crossbow nightly report page announcement + next steps

Hi,

During the last months there has been some work going on in order to
improve the visibility of our nightly builds, the failures, for how long
have they been failing, etcetera.

We started by adding some notifications to Zulip [1].

We have also created a static Crossbow nightly report web page that gets
regenerated every time we build a new report where we can see the status of
the builds and for how long they have been failing [2]. Huge thanks to
Jacob Wujciak and Sam Albers for their work in order to create the static
page process.

I wanted to ask for feedback on the current systems and I wanted to propose
the following:

a. Stop sending nightly build emails. With the new chat notifications these
should be unnecessary now. We can keep improving both the static page and
the existing chat notifications.
b. The next improvement I would like to add is to understand whether
someone is currently working on existing nightly failures or not. In order
to achieve that I would like to add to the static page a list of open JIRA
tickets with a specific label. That would mean that for nightly build
failures we should use a JIRA label with "Nightly". This would allow us to
query the API and retrieve something like the following list [3]. I did a
small PoC with PyScript to retrieve a table with JIRA information so it can
be all done from the browser, here the gist [4]. Does adding a label to the
Nightly failures sound feasible?

Many thanks,
Raúl

[1]
https://ursalabs.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/181017-nightlies/topic/report
[2] https://crossbow.voltrondata.com/
[3]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-16908?jql=labels%20%3D%20Nightly%20and%20project%20%3D%20%22Apache%20Arrow%22%20AND%20status%20not%20in%20(Closed%2C%20Resolved)
[4] https://gist.github.com/raulcd/a033f5761f290ee4ab6fb349640e0d5b

Re: [Nightly builds] Crossbow nightly report page announcement + next steps

Posted by Raul Cumplido Dominguez <ra...@voltrondata.com>.
I thought about creating issues automatically for nightly build failures
but I agree with Neal that at the moment I feel like it is going to create
a lot of unnecessary noise. That's why I thought on an initial step of
creating issues manually and adding a label just to get a simple report of
issues related with "Nightly" failures.

I have tried to think on other less manual solutions but at the moment I
haven't found a better one. I also see this as an iterative improvement
process. We can give that a try and improve the process later.

Posted by Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.
Hi,

Great! Thanks Raul!

> a. Stop sending nightly build emails. With the new chat notifications these
> should be unnecessary now. We can keep improving both the static page and
> the existing chat notifications.

Could you enable the Zulip's public access option[1][2] like
Rust's Zulip[3]?

[1] https://blog.zulip.com/2022/05/05/public-access-option/
[2] https://zulip.com/help/public-access-option
[3] https://rust-lang.zulipchat.com/

> Does adding a label to the Nightly failures sound
> feasible?

Yes.

BTW, can we create a new JIRA issue for each nightly failure
automatically?

kou

In <CA...@mail.gmail.com>
  "[Nightly builds] Crossbow nightly report page announcement + next steps" on Mon, 27 Jun 2022 12:46:40 +0200,

Posted by Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com>.
I've enabled the web-public option on https://ursalabs.zulipchat.com/
turned it on for the main discussion streams. Anyone can go to that URL and
not only view discussions in those streams but also sign themselves up to
be able to participate in discussions there.

Neal

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org>.