Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Olivier Brand <ol...@intraware.com> on 2001/04/27 02:12:43 UTC

RPC mode Vs Message mode

We have been using heavily the RPC mode. I am wondering if the Message
mode is worth of using....
Reading the SOAP implementation code, I can see that the message mode is
identical than the RPC mode beside the parameters (and method name). The
body is still being marshalled/unmarshalled like in the RPC mode.
What are the pros and cons of using message instead of RPC ? protocols
like eBxml or UDDI are using the message mode but it seems that they
could have used the RPC mode. They are just moving the complexity from
the SOAP server to the Service implementation: decoding all the XML
structures and map it to some method calls (see UDDI API).

Any ideas ?

Olivier