Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Isabel Beltran <ib...@hotmail.com> on 2005/03/10 13:08:16 UTC

Sending binary data in HTTP Request body

We are trying to use JMeter to load test an application which uses HTTP
protocol through the CICS Web Interface to access a legacy 0S/390
application. The HTTP request body contains binary data, it does not contain
name/value pairs. Is there any way that the HTTP request sampler could
accept binay data as the body of the request?.

Reading through the mailing list appends, we were trying to find out how to
achieve this. It seems that the best solution - in case the HTTP request
sampler could not help us - will be to code our own Java Sampler or
BeanShell script. Are we right?. Which is the best approach?. Is there any
docs/references available on how to extend AbstractJavaSamplerClient apart
from the SleepTest class?.

Thanks in advance, regards

Isabel

Re: Sending binary data in HTTP Request body

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:08:16 +0000, Isabel Beltran <ib...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> We are trying to use JMeter to load test an application which uses HTTP
> protocol through the CICS Web Interface to access a legacy 0S/390
> application. The HTTP request body contains binary data, it does not contain
> name/value pairs. Is there any way that the HTTP request sampler could
> accept binay data as the body of the request?.

Is this a POST or a GET command?
Indeed is it valid HTTP?

> Reading through the mailing list appends, we were trying to find out how to
> achieve this. It seems that the best solution - in case the HTTP request
> sampler could not help us - will be to code our own Java Sampler or
> BeanShell script. Are we right?. Which is the best approach?. Is there any
> docs/references available on how to extend AbstractJavaSamplerClient apart
> from the SleepTest class?.

If it's not a valid HTTP request then it may not be possible to
persuade either the standard HTTP Protocol handler or the Apache
HTTPClient handler to send the data, in which case it would be
necessary to write a new sampler. However, if it is valid HTTP, but
the existing samplers don't work, then please raise a bug report.

==

We needed to support a private protocol which uses text messages over
TCPIP.  (Not HTTP) I wrote that as a version of the JavaTest Sampler,
but in retrospect this was not the best approach.

I'd recommend looking at the TCP Sampler as a basis instead.

Or you could write it in BeanShell - this is especially useful for
prototyping, as you can write a stand-alone script and test that, and
then plug it into the sampler.

S.