Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by Shahbaz Memon <m....@fz-juelich.de> on 2015/06/10 14:26:28 UTC

Error while running a BES job

Hi Devs,

Just checked out the 0.15 branch.

During create and launch an Echo experiment on a BES endpoint I see the following exception,

ERROR] Error while updating the resource JOB_DETAIL
org.apache.airavata.registry.cpi.RegistryException: java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to org.apache.airavata.registry.cpi.CompositeIdentifier
        at org.apache.airavata.persistance.registry.jpa.impl.RegistryImpl.update(RegistryImpl.java:270)
        at org.apache.airavata.gfac.core.utils.GFacUtils.updateJobStatus(GFacUtils.java:255)
        at org.apache.airavata.gfac.bes.provider.impl.BESProvider.execute(BESProvider.java:196)
..
..
Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to org.apache.airavata.registry.cpi.CompositeIdentifier
        at org.apache.airavata.persistance.registry.jpa.impl.RegistryImpl.update(RegistryImpl.java:239)
        ... 11 more

More detailed log is pasted under, http://pastebin.com/jCMnMmsu

Thanks,

Shahbaz

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt

Re: Error while running a BES job

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
Hi Shahabaz,

Sorry missed to respond to this earlier. Please see below:

> On Jun 12, 2015, at 12:52 PM, Shahbaz Memon <m....@fz-juelich.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Suresh and Devs,
>
> I am testing job resource requirement mappings between Airavata-Thrift and JSDL resource model.

This is a good comparison, we need to make sure all the relevant JSDL semantics have been covered.

> In the Airavata-thrift's model I would propose to include NumberOfCPUsPerNode (or IndividualCPUCount) attribute as one more resource requirement field. By defining this field user will be able to specify TotalCPUCount (which is already there) or TotalNodeCount with IndividualCPUCount. I believe it should be easy to include this field in the existing resource model. What do you think?

I debated to add this field early on, I compared against SAGA, JSDL, RSL and few other API’s like Moab web services. I could not conclusively narrow on which of these three parameters to include. The problem with including all three is they could contradict making the validation tricky. I think we need to select two of the three. Having all three will confuse usage. May be Kenneth has an opinion?

> Another point is, if I set the application's parallelism type as Parallel I am not able to specify a parallel environment instance supported by target resource, for example could be one of, Generic MPI, OpenMPI, MPICH2, POE, IntelMPI, etc. I think it is more feasible for a deployment scenario where multiple MPI environments are supported but user wants to submit a job using parallel environment of her choice. This use case is taken from the JSDL-SPMD specification [1], and unicore supports it :).

In the current app catalog design [1], the interfaces and deployment are decoupled. So the parallel environment is described in the application  deployment [2]. If your question is, how can a user specify a particular parallel environment, currently it is implicitly done by picking the right deployment. We could further re-think if we should allow the users/gateway to select a deployment based on the parallelism. This reverses the current approach. This is timely, we are actively revisiting all data models. I will keep this in mind and get back on this.

Suresh

[1] - https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRAVATA/Airavata+Application+Catalog <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRAVATA/Airavata+Application+Catalog>
[2] - https://github.com/apache/airavata/blob/master/thrift-interface-descriptions/airavata-api/application_deployment_model.thrift <https://github.com/apache/airavata/blob/master/thrift-interface-descriptions/airavata-api/application_deployment_model.thrift>

Posted by Shahbaz Memon <m....@fz-juelich.de>.
Hi Suresh and Devs,

I am testing job resource requirement mappings between Airavata-Thrift and
JSDL resource model. In the Airavata-thrift's model I would propose to

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shahbaz Memon <m....@fz-juelich.de>.
Its working now. Thanks.

Posted by Chathuri Wimalasena <ka...@gmail.com>.