Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/23 00:20:51 UTC

Experiments in vote counting

I wrote a program for the job, it reads my gmail and matches it
against the PMC membership. Unfortunately, not all of us vote from
email addresses that match our Apache Member IDs. Would people be
willing to use their @apache.org email?

Binding votes:

+1 votes

 olamy
 struberg

Total count 2

Binding 0 votes

Total count 0

Binding -1 votes

Total count 0

Nonbinding votes:

+1 votes

 kristian.rosenvold
 stephen.alan.connolly
 herve.boutemy

Total count 3

Nonbinding 0 votes

Total count 0

Nonbinding -1 votes

Re: Experiments in vote counting

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On gmail there's a somewhat recent addition to the config system for
this. However, it's clearly a nonstarter.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On 2011-06-23 16:24, John Casey wrote:
> If we wanted to take a more automated approach to the voting process as
> a whole, you might be able to get the uniformity necessary. There are
> quite a few steps to calling a vote, and even the vote email itself has
> a certain "best practice" format. If we generated that vote email
> somehow

This is something that I've wanted to do. Now that the announcement mail
templates are in place, I might be able to find time for this. Do we
want an auto-generated vote mail?

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Experiments in vote counting

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
If we wanted to take a more automated approach to the voting process as
a whole, you might be able to get the uniformity necessary. There are
quite a few steps to calling a vote, and even the vote email itself has
a certain "best practice" format. If we generated that vote email
somehow, then we could give a template for reply right at the top (or

John Casey
Developer, PMC Member - Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)
Blog: http://www.johnofalltrades.name/

Re: Experiments in vote counting

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

<kr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am also sceptical to being forced into using the asf account unless
> someone can explain a simple way to make my mail come from there via
> something
> IMAP/SMTP like. I have no problem with committing to voting only from,say 2
> or 3 different accounts ;)
>
> How about somehow querying the ASF maililinglist server to determine who's
> on the pmc list ?
>
> Maybe we could put md5/sha1 hashes of all our voting email adresses on the
> team list http://maven.apache.org/team-list.html ?
>

> Kristian
>

> Den 23.06.2011 06:45, skrev Ralph Goers:
>>
>> -1
>>
>> I have used my dslextreme.com email for years and now have a couple dozen
>> ASF email lists on it.  rgoers@apache.org forwards to it. Event when I send
>> as rgoers@apche.org from gmail (which hosts dslexteme.com) or Mac Mail it
>> always still shows that it is sent by my dslextreme.com account (I tried to
>> do this the other day for moderation and it didn't work).  The only way I
>> have found to actually send from rgoers@apache.org is to log in to
>> people.apache.org and use mail.  If someone can explain a way to make
>> sending work then I'd be a lot more open to the idea.
>>
>> Ralph
>>
>> On Jun 22, 2011, at 3:20 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>>
>>> I wrote a program for the job, it reads my gmail and matches it
>>> against the PMC membership. Unfortunately, not all of us vote from
>>> email addresses that match our Apache Member IDs. Would people be
>>> willing to use their @apache.org email?
>>>
>>> Binding votes:
>>>
>>> +1 votes
>>>
>>> olamy
>>> struberg
>>>
>>> Total count 2
>>>
>>> Binding 0 votes
>>>
>>> Total count 0
>>>
>>> Binding -1 votes
>>>
>>> Total count 0
>>>
>>> Nonbinding votes:
>>>
>>> +1 votes
>>>
>>> kristian.rosenvold
>>> stephen.alan.connolly

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
-1

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
I'll work on it.

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@mosabuam.com>.
> On 22 June 2011 23:20, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I wrote a program for the job, it reads my gmail and matches it
>> against the PMC membership. Unfortunately, not all of us vote from
>> email addresses that match our Apache Member IDs. Would people be
>> willing to use their @apache.org email?
>>

> Ugh! then I can't send from my Android phone... just have it know I'm me
> ;-)

You need to install k9mail...

Re: Experiments in vote counting

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
yes please, I only use my a.o email addy via a secure tunnel which I only setup if I have very important things to do (writing announcement mails, member voting, etc)...

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.