Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "B. Todd Burruss" <bt...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/12 05:09:01 UTC

removing SSTABLEs

if i stop a node and remove an SSTABLE, let's call it X, is that safe?

ok, more info.  i know that the data in SSTABLE X has been tombstoned
but the tomstones are in SSTABLE Y.  i want to simply delete X and get
rid of the data.

how do i know this .. i did a major compaction a while back and the
SSTABLE is so large it has not yet been compacted.  we "delete" data
daily and only keep 7 days of data.  the SSTABLE is almost 30 days
old.

whattayathink?

Re: removing SSTABLEs

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
You can also kick off a user defined compaction via JMX.

https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/cassandra-1.1/src/java/org/apache/cassandra/db/compaction/CompactionManagerMBean.java#L58

This will allow you to compact big files, medium files, and teeny tinny little files.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

Re: removing SSTABLEs

Posted by "B. Todd Burruss" <bt...@gmail.com>.

Re: removing SSTABLEs

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Re: removing SSTABLEs

Posted by Jason Wee <pe...@gmail.com>.

Re: removing SSTABLEs

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
If you shutdown c* and remove an sstable (and it associated data,
index, bloom filter , and etc) files it is safe. I would delete any
saved caches as well.

It is safe in the sense that Cassandra will start up with no issues,
but you could be missing some data.