Posted to dev@twill.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> on 2014/10/08 22:52:59 UTC

FYI, yarn registry checked in, includes some twill code

I'm just letting everyone know the core YARN-913 registry is checked in,
with the goal of a ZK-based registry for YARN apps. There's security
support too: the RM will create a zknode for a user with the right
permissions for that user and system accounts only, user apps are free to
register whatever they want underneath.

This patch actually contains a bit of twill code -your in-VM zookeeper
 service was lifted, wrapped in a YARN service and will -once the remaining
patches go in- be integrated with the MiniYARNCluster.

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=hadoop.git;a=blob;f=hadoop-yarn-project/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-registry/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/registry/server/services/MicroZookeeperService.java;h=3fa0c1920dd150ec23995f9b8e714d81633a9f74;hb=HEAD

Can I therefore thank the team for your contribution to the hadoop codebase
—and I hope to see you using the registry itself at some point in the future

-steve

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: FYI, yarn registry checked in, includes some twill code

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
that's a good question:

https://github.com/apache/hadoop/blob/trunk/hadoop-yarn-project/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-site/src/site/markdown/registry/registry-security.md

Once a patch goes into the RM, it will set up the path so that each user
gets their path /users/${shortname}/ writeable only by them and the
config-defined system accounts, eg. sasl:stevel@EXAMPLE, sasl:mapred@EXAMPLE

apps can write under that, using SASL auth. There some support for allowing
a client to add digest auth ACLs so that you could delegate access to a bit
of  your own tree, e.g /users/stevel/myapp/clients could be given
sasl:steve@EXAMPLE, digest:55ff44. If the id+pass for the digest is
(securely) passed down, then bits of an app without ZK tickets can still
work that bit of the registry. My goal there was to allow long-lived
services to avoid the token expiry problem. I don't know how well it would
work in practise though

All of the registry is world readable: if you want to share secrets, don't
do it directly in the registry.

Posted by Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com>.