Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk> on 2006/12/19 15:50:37 UTC

[axis2] release planning

Folks, I'd like to suggest that we try to do 3-monthly releases .. with
2 months of development and one more of wrapping up / packaging. I'm
motivated to suggest this after the debacle of the 1.1 release .. we
spent more than *6 months* releasing it and to me that's just crazy.

Release early, release often is an important open source mantra. Given
that we're still in a fairly rapid innovation mode, this is even more
important.

This also will force us to work thru a bit of a roadmap so users know
what features to expect in what version (to whatever extent possible to
do that in an open source project .. I'm not suggesting we plan
everything).

Thoughts?

Sanjiva.
--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Re: [axis2] release planning

Posted by Ruchith Fernando <ru...@gmail.com>.
On 12/21/06, Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk> wrote:
> While agreeing with all the comments, let me disclose one more dimension
> for this.
>
> Axis2 depends on various other projects like Woden, XmlShema, Axiom,
> etc., For us to achieve what Sanjiva had suggested, then we should have
> a plan for WS project, as a whole, at least among whatever connected
> projects.
>
> So I feel this is something that we might need help from all the other
> projects and should be taken in to the PMC as well.

I agree with Chinthaka ...  So shall we discuss this in general@ws.a.o ?

Thanks,
Ruchtih

www.ruchith.org
www.wso2.org

Re: [axis2] release planning

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

Re: [axis2] release planning

Posted by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
As much a fan I am for 'release early release often', I have a feeling
that two months of development may not yield enough changes to fully
constitute a release (just a feeling though). So would it be sensible
to do 4 month develop/test/release cycle rather than a 3 month one ?
(3 months development ,1 month test/bugfix/document altogether 3
releases per year)
The time gap allows the gathering of more usecases and gives people
room to play around. By the time we get to the next 'bug fix' stage,
people would have played around with the earlier release and found all
the issues.

Ajith

On 12/19/06, Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk> wrote:
> I am big +1 for this approach.
> Let's start that process immediately after 1.1.1 release .
>
> Thanks
> Deepal
>
> Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
>
> >Folks, I'd like to suggest that we try to do 3-monthly releases .. with
> >2 months of development and one more of wrapping up / packaging. I'm
> >motivated to suggest this after the debacle of the 1.1 release .. we
> >spent more than *6 months* releasing it and to me that's just crazy.
> >
> >Release early, release often is an important open source mantra. Given
> >that we're still in a fairly rapid innovation mode, this is even more
> >important.
> >
> >This also will force us to work thru a bit of a roadmap so users know
> >what features to expect in what version (to whatever extent possible to
> >do that in an open source project .. I'm not suggesting we plan
> >everything).
> >
> >Thoughts?
> >
> >Sanjiva.

> Deepal
> "The highest tower is built one brick at a time"

Ajith Ranabahu

Re: [axis2] release planning

Posted by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>.
I am big +1 for this approach.

Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

>Folks, I'd like to suggest that we try to do 3-monthly releases .. with
>2 months of development and one more of wrapping up / packaging. I'm
>motivated to suggest this after the debacle of the 1.1 release .. we
>spent more than *6 months* releasing it and to me that's just crazy.
>
>Release early, release often is an important open source mantra. Given
>that we're still in a fairly rapid innovation mode, this is even more
>important.
>
>This also will force us to work thru a bit of a roadmap so users know
>what features to expect in what version (to whatever extent possible to
>do that in an open source project .. I'm not suggesting we plan
>everything).
>
>Thoughts?
>
>Sanjiva.

Deepal