Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Peter-Frank Spierenburg <sp...@hotmail.com> on 2008/04/24 09:47:12 UTC

What doea "SEVERE: BAD packet signature 18245" mean.

Greetings,

I've got a CentOS5 box with the standard CentOS5 tomcat5 and jvm packages installed.

$ rpm -qa | grep tomcat
tomcat5-jsp-2.0-api-5.5.23-0jpp.3.0.2.el5
tomcat5-admin-webapps-5.5.23-0jpp.3.0.2.el5
tomcat5-common-lib-5.5.23-0jpp.3.0.2.el5
tomcat5-servlet-2.4-api-5.5.23-0jpp.3.0.2.el5
tomcat5-jasper-5.5.23-0jpp.3.0.2.el5
tomcat5-server-lib-5.5.23-0jpp.3.0.2.el5
tomcat5-5.5.23-0jpp.3.0.2.el5

$ rpm -qa | grep java
gcc-java-4.1.2-14.el5
java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-1.4.2.0-40jpp.112
java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-devel-1.4.2.0-40jpp.112

I'm trying to make-it-go, but so far no dice. Connections to http://x.x.x:8080/admin get me to a login screen but no username/password combination seems to authenticate. Does anyone know what the default username/password are for an out-of-the-box install like this?

I've noticed in the logs that it also opens port 8009. However, connections there lead to a blank screen, and the following cryptic error message in /var/log/tomcat5/catalina.out:

24-Apr-08 1:40:13 AM org.apache.jk.common.MsgAjp processHeader
SEVERE: BAD packet signature 18245
24-Apr-08 1:40:13 AM org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket processConnection
SEVERE: Error, processing connection
java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException
   at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(libgcj.so.7rh)
   at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.read(tomcat-ajp-5.5.23.jar.so)
   at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.receive(tomcat-ajp-5.5.23.jar.so)
   at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(tomcat-ajp-5.5.23.jar.so)
   at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket$SocketConnection.runIt(tomcat-ajp-5.5.23.jar.so)
   at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(tomcat-util-5.5.23.jar.so)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(libgcj.so.7rh)

I've googled the snot out of "SEVERE: BAD packet signature 18245". Plenty of hits, but nothing explaining the message or its meaning.

Peter-Frank Spierenburg.

Re: What doea "SEVERE: BAD packet signature 18245" mean.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Peter-Frank Spierenburg wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've got a CentOS5 box with the standard CentOS5 tomcat5 and jvm packages installed.

As has been said many times before on this list - you may want to get a
real tomcat distro rather than a repackaged one. Generally these distros
cause more hassle than they are worth.

> Does anyone know what the default username/password are for an out-of-the-box install like this?

On an ASF install there is no default password. You have to edit
tomcat-users.xml to add a user with the admin role. On your distro - whho
knows.

> I've noticed in the logs that it also opens port 8009. However, connections there lead to a blank screen, and the following cryptic error message in /var/log/tomcat5/catalina.out:

You have tried to talk HTTP to a port expecting AJP. If you don't need AJP,
disable the connector in server.xml

Mark

RE: What doea "SEVERE: BAD packet signature 18245" mean.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Peter-Frank Spierenburg [mailto:spierepf@hotmail.com]
> Subject: What doea "SEVERE: BAD packet signature 18245" mean.
>
> I've got a CentOS5 box with the standard CentOS5 tomcat5 and
> jvm packages installed.

And therein lies your problem.  Mark T suggested using a real Tomcat; I
submit that it's not a suggestion, it's a requirement.  Also, the GNU
JVM is an inappropriate platform for any real Java work; you need to
install a proper one, such as Sun's HotSpot JVM.  I'd suggest the latest
of both Tomcat and the JVM; no sense in living in the past.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.