Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/16 19:26:06 UTC

Re: JIRA Issues assignment

Ashish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Was thinking about working on some documentation related issues in
> MINA (eg. DIRMINA -575/612).
> Few queries
> 1. Any guidelines on how to write code/javadoc for ASF projects?

Here are some guidelines for the MINA project :
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MINA/Developer+Guide

"We follow Sun's standard Java coding convention^
<http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/> except that we always use spaces
instead of tabs"

Regarding the doco, well, standard Javadoc should be used. When you are
implementing an interface, as the methods are supposed to be documented
in the interface, it's enough to add a {@inheritdoc} tag, unless you
have added or changed the method's semantic.

Do not put too many comments in the code, and always ask yourself if
adding a comment is not just the signal for a too complex code ...

Otherwise, don't be shy. Older committers will drive you the first few
weeks, but basically, you are supposed to be just as good as we are. If
you get some mails telling you that 'you should do that this way, or
that way', don't feel offended. The ultimate target is that the code
does not have a personal style, and to allow a beginner to fix it
('writing code for the average programmer' style ;)

> 2. How can I assign myself issues in JIRA?

I have modified JIRA, you should be able to assign some issues to
yourself now. Just tell me if it's working.

Thanks !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com