Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru> on 2009/02/09 12:32:08 UTC

[VOTE] Release of POI 3.5-beta5

Hi All,

There have been two important changes since the release of 3.5-beta4, namely:

  (1) The fixed GPL-HDGF issue. See bugzilla 46361.
  (2) Import of Openxml4J codebase. See bugzilla 46242.

These two are good reasons to release a next beta. This time I really hope it will be the last one before 3.5-FINAL.

The revision number of the release is r742327 and tagged as REL_3_5_BETA5.

The release artifacts can be downloaded from:
     http://people.apache.org/~yegor/REL_3_5_BETA5

As usual, the release includes numerous bug fixes and improvements. The list of changes is available in the change log:
   http://poi.apache.org/changes.html

The vote options are:

[ ]+1  - I support the release
[ ] 0  - I don't care
[ ]-1  - I'm opposed to the release because...

I'm voting [+1]. Voting will last 10 days and end on Thursday, 19th February.

Yegor

Re: [VOTE] Release of POI 3.5-beta5

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.
The vote has passed.

The vote thread is
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/poi-dev/200902.mbox/%3C49901438.5050604@dinom.ru%3E

Four +1 votes, two +0 votes, zero -1 votes

Three PMC Votes.

Yegor

Posted by Paolo Mottadelli <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi.
Finally reviewed the release.
Nice to have Openxml4j in the project!

+1

--
Paolo Mottadelli: http://www.paolomottadelli.com

Re: [VOTE] Release of POI 3.5-beta5

Posted by Josh Micich <jo...@gmail.com>.
Looks OK to me.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Release of POI 3.5-beta5

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Yegor Kozlov wrote:
> Another potential issue are our test files. Many of them were uploaded in
> Bugzilla and then included in svn.

I'm tempted to say we ask around at apachecon, and find out what other
projects do wrt test files. Once we have an idea of what everyone else
does, bring those back to the list, and we can pick an outcome

> - programmatically insert the ASF license, for example, in the Comments OLE
> property. Create an utility to audit test files before release.

My slight worry is that for the files where the bug report relates to iffy
ole2 blocks / properties / etc, that'll break/fix them

Nick

Re: [VOTE] Release of POI 3.5-beta5

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.
Hi Dave,
> I had to ask. I've seen a Jakarta beta do it differently, but we are a
> huge project compared to that.
>
> So, OK. Let's make sure that we get these issues resolved next week -
> then at least the nightly builds will have all the details properly
> marked.
>
> (1) A really, really proper NOTICE and LICENSE.
> (2) All copyright statements in the project properly checked and
> adjusted.
Should be fixed in r747303.

> (3) All source files with the proper license statement in them.

We had files with a non-standard ASF2 licence header:

Compare two versions:

/* ====================================================================
   Copyright 2002-2004   Apache Software Foundation

   Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
   you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
   You may obtain a copy of the License at

   limitations under the License.
==================================================================== */

and

/* ====================================================================
   contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
   The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
   (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
   the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at

   limitations under the License.
==================================================================== */

The files are:

trunk\src\java\org\apache\poi\hssf\record\DVALRecord.java
trunk\src\java\org\apache\poi\hssf\record\DVRecord.java
trunk\src\java\org\apache\poi\hssf\usermodel\DVConstraint.java
trunk\src\java\org\apache\poi\hssf\usermodel\HSSFDataValidation.java
trunk\src\java\org\apache\poi\hssf\usermodel\HSSFObjectData.java
trunk\src\java\org\apache\poi\hssf\usermodel\HSSFOptimiser.java
trunk\src\java\org\apache\poi\hssf\usermodel\HSSFPictureData.java
trunk\src\java\org\apache\poi\hssf\util\CellRangeAddress.java
trunk\src\java\org\apache\poi\hssf\util\CellRangeAddress8Bit.java
trunk\src\java\org\apache\poi\hssf\util\CellRangeAddressList.java
trunk\src\java\org\apache\poi\ss\util\CellRangeAddress.java
trunk\src\java\org\apache\poi\ss\util\CellRangeAddressBase.java
trunk\src\java\org\apache\poi\ss\util\CellRangeAddressList.java
trunk\src\testcases\org\apache\poi\hssf\usermodel\TestDataValidation.java
trunk\src\testcases\org\apache\poi\hssf\usermodel\TestHSSFOptimiser.java
trunk\src\testcases\org\apache\poi\hssf\usermodel\TestRowStyle.java

I changed all of them to have the standard header just to be on the safe
side :)
> Do we have any other copyrights in the code other than one we had the
> author re-license?
> ./resources/scratchpad/org/apache/poi/hdgf/chunks_parse_cmds.tbl
> 3:# Copyright (C) 2006-2007     Valek Filippov (frob@df.ru)

No, I think it was the only case.  I searched and didn't find any other
copyrights .

Another potential issue are our test files. Many of them were uploaded
in Bugzilla and then included in svn.
A way to identify ownership of a MS Office file is via its OLE
properties. Currently  the test files are distributed "as is" and there
is no indication that these files are a part of POI. That means if a
user examines them, he sees the Author, Company and other properties in
the original form, as they were submitted to Bugzilla.

Do we have to care about them? If yes,  I see two potential improvements:

 - include an entry in the NOTICE covering the test files.
 - programmatically insert the ASF license, for example, in the Comments
OLE property. Create an utility to audit test files before release.

Regards,

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@jmlafferty.com>.
Hi Yegor,

I had to ask. I've seen a Jakarta beta do it differently, but we are a
huge project compared to that.

So, OK. Let's make sure that we get these issues resolved next week -
then at least the nightly builds will have all the details properly
marked.

(1) A really, really proper NOTICE and LICENSE.
(2) All copyright statements in the project properly checked and
adjusted.
(3) All source files with the proper license statement in them.

Do we have any other copyrights in the code other than one we had the
author re-license?
./resources/scratchpad/org/apache/poi/hdgf/chunks_parse_cmds.tbl
3:# Copyright (C) 2006-2007     Valek Filippov (frob@df.ru)

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.

Posted by David Fisher <df...@jmlafferty.com>.

Posted by Josh Micich <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hello All,

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 9:25 AM, Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru> wrote:
>> Another point I noticed is that the dates in the tar file were in the
>> future.
>
> The artifacts are built as if the vote had passed. That is, if I build a
> release today, the dates are +7 days in the future.  That's the way we
> always did it.

OK, cool.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [VOTE] Release of POI 3.5-beta5

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.
Hi Jukka ,

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 5:57 PM, David Fisher <df...@jmlafferty.com> wrote:
> Jukka would you provide an example of a proper NOTICE file. I think we can
> make it proper. It would also help to have the proper considerations. For
> example, do we need to mention that data file that we had re-licensed?

I'll give it a look over the weekend and propose an improved version.

>> The RAT report for the release is also pretty long, but most of the
>> flagged files seem to be generated documentation or other similar
>> files that require no action.
>
> What's a RAT report?

A report generated by the Release Audit Tool, see
http://incubator.apache.org/rat/.

> (2) Also, our distros are gnu tar - I guess that this is understood.

Another point I noticed is that the dates in the tar file were in the future.

> (3) A couple of the build files are missing the apache license notice -
> forrest.properties and maven/mvn-sig.sh

See the end of this message for a list of files that RAT flagged as
missing license notices. I've removed all the entries for generated
documentation, but I guess many of the remaining entries are still
quite OK without license headers.

> (4) The ruby contribution does not look like it is a complete package

The Ruby contrib also contains the
src/contrib/poi-ruby/poi-2.0-final-20040126.jar file which seems a bit
old.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

  ./ant.dtd
  ./doap_POI.rdf
  ./forrest.properties
  ./maven/mvn-sig.sh
  ./src/contrib/poi-ruby/Makefile
  ./src/contrib/testcases/dummy.txt
  ./src/documentation/Release-Checklist.txt
  ./src/documentation/release-guide.txt
  ./src/documentation/content/xdocs/dtd/ISOdia.pen
  ./src/documentation/content/xdocs/dtd/ISOlat1.pen
  ./src/documentation/content/xdocs/dtd/ISOnum.pen
  ./src/documentation/content/xdocs/dtd/ISOpub.pen
  ./src/documentation/content/xdocs/dtd/ISOtech.pen
  ./src/documentation/content/xdocs/dtd/book-cocoon-v10.dtd
  ./src/documentation/content/xdocs/dtd/changes-v11.dtd
  ./src/documentation/content/xdocs/dtd/document-v11.dtd
  ./src/documentation/content/xdocs/dtd/faq-v11.dtd
  ./src/documentation/content/xdocs/dtd/javadoc-v04draft.dtd
  ./src/documentation/content/xdocs/dtd/specification-v11.dtd
  ./src/documentation/content/xdocs/entity/ISOdia.pen
  ./src/documentation/content/xdocs/entity/ISOgrk1.pen
  ./src/documentation/content/xdocs/entity/ISOlat1.pen
  ./src/documentation/content/xdocs/entity/ISOnum.pen
  ./src/documentation/content/xdocs/entity/ISOpub.pen
  ./src/documentation/content/xdocs/entity/ISOtech.pen
  ./src/examples/lib/dummy.txt
  ./src/java/org/apache/poi/hssf/record/formula/eval/RefEvalBase.java
  ./src/models/BlockClassDiagram.pgml
  ./src/models/HSSFOperationalUseCases.pgml
  ./src/models/HSSFSerializerClassDiagram.pgml
  ./src/models/HSSFSerializerUseCases.pgml
  ./src/models/HSSFUseCases.pgml
  ./src/models/POIFSAddDocument.pgml
  ./src/models/POIFSClassDiagram.pgml
  ./src/models/POIFSInitialization.pgml
  ./src/models/POIFSLifeCycle.pgml
  ./src/models/POIFSPropertyTablePreWrite.pgml
  ./src/models/POIFSRootPropertyPreWrite.pgml
  ./src/models/POIFSWriteFilesystem.pgml
  ./src/models/POIUseCases.pgml
  ./src/models/PropertyTableClassDiagram.pgml
  ./src/models/analysismain.pgml
  ./src/models/poi.argo
  ./src/models/poi.xmi
  ./src/models/poifsAnalysisClasses.pgml
  ./src/models/projectmain.pgml
  ./src/models/readFileFromFilesystemSequenceDiagram.pgml
  ./src/models/readFileSystemDirectorySequenceDiagram.pgml
  ./src/models/readFilesystemSequenceDiagram.pgml
  ./src/models/utilClasses.pgml
  ./src/models/writeFilesystemSequenceDiagram.pgml
  ./src/ooxml/README.interfaces
  ./src/ooxml/java/org/apache/poi/xssf/usermodel/XSSFActiveXData.java
  ./src/ooxml/java/org/apache/poi/xssf/util/CTFontWrapper.java
  ./src/ooxml/java/org/apache/poi/xssf/util/Charset.java
  ./src/ooxml/testcases/org/apache/poi/openxml4j/opc/compliance/INPUT/OPCCompliance_CoreProperties_OnlyOneCorePropertiesPartFAIL.docx
  ./src/ooxml/testcases/org/apache/poi/xssf/data/picture.xlsx
  ./src/ooxml/testcases/org/apache/poi/xssf/data/styles.xlsx
  ./src/ooxml/testcases/org/apache/poi/xssf/usermodel/TestXSSFFont.java
  ./src/scratchpad/src/Manifest.mf
  ./src/scratchpad/src/org/apache/poi/hslf/model/ActiveXShape.java
  ./src/scratchpad/src/org/apache/poi/hslf/model/Comment.java
  ./src/scratchpad/src/org/apache/poi/hslf/model/MovieShape.java
  ./src/scratchpad/src/org/apache/poi/hwpf/model/EscherRecordHolder.java
  ./src/scratchpad/testcases/dummy.txt
  ./src/scratchpad/testcases/org/apache/poi/hpbf/data/Sample.txt
  ./src/scratchpad/testcases/org/apache/poi/hpbf/data/Sample2.txt
  ./src/scratchpad/testcases/org/apache/poi/hpbf/data/Sample3.txt
  ./src/scratchpad/testcases/org/apache/poi/hpbf/data/Sample4.txt
  ./src/scratchpad/testcases/org/apache/poi/hslf/data/SampleShow.txt
  ./src/scratchpad/testcases/org/apache/poi/hwpf/data/SampleDoc.txt
  ./src/testcases/org/apache/poi/hssf/data/BigSSTRecord
  ./src/testcases/org/apache/poi/hssf/data/BigSSTRecord2
  ./src/testcases/org/apache/poi/hssf/data/BigSSTRecord2CR1
  ./src/testcases/org/apache/poi/hssf/data/BigSSTRecord2CR2
  ./src/testcases/org/apache/poi/hssf/data/BigSSTRecord2CR3
  ./src/testcases/org/apache/poi/hssf/data/BigSSTRecord2CR4
  ./src/testcases/org/apache/poi/hssf/data/BigSSTRecord2CR5
  ./src/testcases/org/apache/poi/hssf/data/BigSSTRecord2CR6
  ./src/testcases/org/apache/poi/hssf/data/BigSSTRecord2CR7
  ./src/testcases/org/apache/poi/hssf/data/BigSSTRecordCR
  ./src/testcases/org/apache/poi/hssf/data/SampleSS.txt
  ./src/testcases/org/apache/poi/hssf/data/bug_42794.mdb
  ./src/testcases/org/apache/poi/hssf/data/evencontinuation.txt
  ./src/testcases/org/apache/poi/hssf/data/extendedtextstrings.txt
  ./src/testcases/org/apache/poi/hssf/data/richtextdata.txt
  ./src/testcases/org/apache/poi/hssf/data/stringacross2continuations.txt
  ./src/testcases/org/apache/poi/hssf/data/test_properties1
  ./src/testcases/org/apache/poi/hssf/usermodel/TestLinkTable.java
  ./src/testcases/org/apache/poi/poifs/property/AllPOIFSPropertyTests.java
  ./src/testcases/org/apache/poi/util/data/test_properties1
  ./src/testcases/org/apache/poi/util/data/test_properties2
  ./src/testcases/org/apache/poi/util/data/test_properties3

Re: [VOTE] Release of POI 3.5-beta5

Posted by David Fisher <df...@jmlafferty.com>.
Hi,

I found some other things that ought to be cleared up before 3.5-
FINAL. I guess that makes me a 0 vote.

> * The copyright year in the NOTICE file should be updated
> * The NOTICE should list the required copyright attributions, not
> refer to licensing of included components
> * Instead of just URL pointers, it would be good to include full
> copies of the relevant external licenses either in the LICENSE file or
> in other files referenced by LICENSE

Jukka would you provide an example of a proper NOTICE file. I think we
can make it proper. It would also help to have the proper
considerations. For example, do we need to mention that data file that
we had re-licensed?

> The RAT report for the release is also pretty long, but most of the
> flagged files seem to be generated documentation or other similar
> files that require no action.

What's a RAT report?

(1) I did notice that as I built this release under US-ASCII settings
(Solaris 8) that there were literal string issues - almost all in
comments - particularly in our French sourced OOXML contribution.

Except for this:
     [javac] /export/home/apachecat/poi-3.5-beta5/src/testcases/org/
apache/poi/hssf/usermodel/TestHSSFDataFormatter.java:81: warning:
unmappable character for encoding ASCII
     [javac]                             "[$???-809]#,##0.00",
     [javac]                                    ^

We ought to have some instructions about setting the character set and
why.

(2) Also, our distros are gnu tar - I guess that this is understood.

      [tar] Entry: poi-3.5-beta5/docs/apidocs/org/apache/poi/contrib/
poibrowser/class-use/DocumentDescriptorRenderer.html longer than 100
characters.
       [tar] Resulting tar file can only be processed successfully by
GNU compatible tar commands

(3) A couple of the build files are missing the apache license notice
- forrest.properties and maven/mvn-sig.sh

(4) The ruby contribution does not look like it is a complete package
- also someone contributed a patch for it that was also incomplete. https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=42756
I would say that unless we get someone who wants this and can confirm
it - that we should pull it from 3.5-FINAL.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,