Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <gg...@seagullsw.com> on 2003/11/26 22:12:53 UTC

[vsf] sandbox etiquette

Hello,

I know the sandbox is "open" to all Commons committer (I am one [lang],
[codec]) but I'd like to know if there is any etiquette as to committing to
a specific sandbox  project, in this case, I want to fix a bug in VFS and
perhaps update build.xml.

?

Thanks,
Gary

Re: [vsf] sandbox etiquette

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, John Keyes wrote:

> > "The right thing to do is to ask on the list or talk to the owners of
> > the component (see the STATUS file) before diving in. The owners may
> > not be still subscribed to the commons-dev list and so you might need
> > to contact them directly."
>
> If the owners are no longer subscribed to the commons-dev list why
> should they be contacted with regards to changes?  It seems that
> if a project is not active and someone would like to revive it
> then the only permission you need is from the list.

If you're already a Commons committer, all you need to do is add yourself
to the STATUS file. Item #15 in the guidelines of the Commons Charter
says:

"Each committer has karma to all the packages, but committers are required
to add their name to a package's status file before their first commit to
that package."

See http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/charter.html

For active components, of course, it's polite to ask first, but if there's
nothing else going on, you should feel free to jump right in and have at
it.

--
Martin Cooper

Re: [vsf] sandbox etiquette

Posted by John Keyes <jb...@mac.com>.

Re: [vsf] sandbox etiquette

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.
> After that, if you don't hear any responses, I would imagine that you
> could go ahead start working on it.  You may want to check the Gump
> stats to see what other projects depend on it, depending on the type of
> changes you are making.

I've heard of others that use it, but these I know of:

http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/commons-vfs/commons-vfs.html#Project+Dependees

Ruper2 is a re-work of Ruper with VFS optional (not intrinsic) 'cos VFS
isn't maintained. Real shame 'cos there is some great work in there.

Good luck w/ your fixes.

BTW: I've seen a bunch of folks post [VFS] requests to this list. Given that
VFS went from active to stagnant so quickly, few folks could earn the rights
to become committers. As such, VFS has stalled (AFAICT). I wonder if it is
worth attempting to recruit a new development team & open it up to them. I
don't know who would have right to do that, but it might breath needed life
back into the project.

regards,

Adam

Re: [vsf] sandbox etiquette

Posted by __matthewHawthorne <ma...@phreaker.net>.
I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago with [sql].

Here's some words of wisdom from
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JakartaCommonsEtiquette

"The right thing to do is to ask on the list or talk to the owners of
the component (see the STATUS file) before diving in. The owners may not
be still subscribed to the commons-dev list and so you might need to
contact them directly."

After that, if you don't hear any responses, I would imagine that you
could go ahead start working on it.  You may want to check the Gump
stats to see what other projects depend on it, depending on the type of
changes you are making.

Anyone else been in this situation?  It's undesirable to step on
someone's toes, but even less desirable to let good projects die...