Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Steve Fosdick <fo...@aom.bt.co.uk> on 1998/07/14 18:15:40 UTC

other/2608: mod_magic returns mime type application/msword for non-MS Word documents

>Number:         2608
>Category:       other
>Synopsis:       mod_magic returns mime type application/msword for non-MS Word documents
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
The mod_magic modules caused the application/msword mime type to be returned
for other Microsoft Office documents which aren't microsoft word.  This seems
to be caused by the Microsoft Office documents using a common document format (OLE?)

I have checked the three recognition strings in the supplied magic file against
a variety of Microsoft Office document and here are the results:

0	string	\376\067\0\043

	Word for Macintosh 5.0
	Word for Macintosh 5.1

0	string	\320\317\021\340\241\261

	Powerpoint version 4.0
	Powerpoint version 7 (Office 95)
	Powerpoint 97 (Office 97)
	Word for Windows version 7 (Office 95)
	Word for Windows 97 (Office 97)
	Excel version 7 (Office 95)
	Excel 97 (Office 97)

0	string	\333\245-\0\0\0

	Word for Windows version 2.x
>How-To-Repeat:
Serve documents of the above versions and check the mime type reported by the
client/browser.
>Fix:
Comment out or remove line two of the three application/msword lines in the
magic file until a way can be found to distinguish these documents from each
other.