Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Nithish R <ni...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/16 17:19:25 UTC

Mentor Needed for COMDEV-22 JIRA :Enhancements to the "nearby people" application

Hi Devs,

I had attended a 3 day workshop conducted by Luciano Resende of Apache
Software Foundation in India. As part of the workshop, we were introduced
to the working of ASF. As part of the workshop, we were asked to choose
projects on which we could work & contribute to the community. After going
through the project ideas, I came across the jira issue[2]. I am interested
in doing this task. I had tried to contact Ross Gardler regarding the JIRA
task. But he is busy at the moment & has not responded so far.
As part of the project, we are required to find mentors for the task. I am
in need of a mentor. I have moderate experience in Python. I wish to create
Wookie Widgets for extending the functionality of "nearby people"
application. Can some of you guide me?

[1] http://community.apache.org/mentoringprogramme-icfoss-pilot.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMDEV-22

Thanks & Regards,

Nithish R

Re: Mentor Needed for COMDEV-22 JIRA :Enhancements to the "nearby people" application

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Hi Nithish,

It sounds like you have a reasonable understanding of the project. Some of
your assumptions are not fully accurate (as would be expected at such an
early stage). You will uncover those details as you continue to explore.

One area that is important is the way you would pull data from the people
app into the widgets. Rather than embedding widgets in the Python app
(which would require a python connector as you suggest) I would look to
create a REST interface in the people app and query the database using a
widget. This would allow the widget to be embedded elsewhere and would
decouple the UI from the people app. Take a look at the twitter widget
which does this.

You also asked for a clarification on "providing further information about
people available from other sites (e.g. blogs, twitter, shared slides,
videos etc.)" The people records can include information about twitter
accounts, blogs etc. It would be good to include some of this information
in the widget.

I look forward to your proposal.

Ross

Sent from a mobile device, please excuse mistakes and brevity
On 17 Jul 2013 10:56, "Nithish R" <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All,

I am glad to hear that you are coming back. :-)

Let me just summarize what I understood from the project JIRA & a some
searching from my side.

The people app uses Django(Python) framework. There will be a back-end
database like MySql in which the details like Projects & Contributors are
stored. Now, my aim would be to develop Wookie widgets on which the views
of users are to be displayed based on the controls from the user( in the
form of URLs). For this, I would need to use the Python(Django) Connector
for Wookie widgets. The widgets would be developed in the form of web
application using Html5 or Javascript.

I would filter the people on the basis of projects to which they are
associated.
Clarification needed on "providing further information about people
available from other sites (e.g. blogs, twitter, shared slides, videos
etc.)" : This means that I have to get the details of people who are
available in the area specified by the user based on the data obtained from
other sites like twitter, blogs. Or does it mean that I have to get the
details of people like their Twitter feed & display it on a Wookie widget?
I feel that the latter can be accomplished using APIs from Twitter & other
data sources.

I am currently working on the project proposal. Also at the same time, I
have tried running the Wookie widgets from source. I am currently just
trying out creating the sample widgets like Hello world & geo location. I
am comfortable with Python. Also I can work with Javascript & Html.

Please guide me as to whether or not I understood the task correctly.

Thanks & Regards,

Nithish R

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 10:13 PM, Ross Gardler
<rg...@opendirective.com>wrote:

> Hi Nithish,
>
> Sorry I've not responded to the JIRA ticket. I've been relocating to the
US

Posted by Nithish R <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.