Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> on 2016/05/04 00:12:15 UTC

Moving away from JDK7

Fellas,

as a part of 1.2 release it would be a good idea to move away from JDK/JRE 7
as far as possible. It is an EOL'ed version, which means there's no point of
beating the dead horse any further.

I thought we might start with our provisioner, which will effectively forces
us to update the build and deploy images and, once we certain that everything
still works, we'll just remove Java7 from the toolchain.

Thoughts?
  Cos

Re: Moving away from JDK7

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
Agreed, for deployment it's fine. Everybody should be using 8 based runtimes IMHO.

Re: Moving away from JDK7

Posted by Olaf Flebbe <of...@oflebbe.de>.
Sorry, it was only the two latest Fedoras that only provide JDK8 .

Olaf

Re: Moving away from JDK7

Posted by Olaf Flebbe <of...@oflebbe.de>.
Hi,

Re: Moving away from JDK7

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Re: Moving away from JDK7

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Moving away from JDK7

Posted by "김영우 (Youngwoo Kim)" <wa...@gmail.com>.
+1 for java8

Re: Moving away from JDK7

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Tue, May 03, 2016 at 05:08PM, Andrew Purtell wrote:
> I think you also have to set the bootclasspath. Even so:
>
> "Additionally, even when the bootclasspath and -source/-target are all set
> appropriately for cross-compilation, compiler-internal contracts, such as
> how anonymous inner classes are compiled, may differ" (
> https://blogs.oracle.com/darcy/entry/how_to_cross_compile_for)
>
> Although, granted, that is old information. Maybe Oracle is using a
> different and better compatibility contract these days.
>
> Basically, use the oldest JDK to build the software for the oldest JRE you
> intend to support.

Yeah, I agree - it might be interesting is a pure mind-stretching exercise,
but would be too much of a pain in practice. Oh, well we digressed...

Let's at least see if we can move to Java8 in the deployment, unless there are
objections ;)

  Cos

Re: Moving away from JDK7

Posted by Jonathan Kelly <jo...@gmail.com>.
Andrew,

Which Bigtop apps are affected by this Maven enforcer plugin problem that
forces JDK 7? I wasn't aware of that, but I haven't yet tried building
Bigtop with JDK 8. I've had success doing the "build with 7, run with 8"
approach though, but of course I haven't tried this with all of the
Bigtop-supported apps yet.

~ Jonathan

Re: Moving away from JDK7

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.