Posted to dev@esme.apache.org by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/21 09:18:09 UTC

Release process: Question about [VOTE] threads

I have a question about release [VOTE] threads. Should they be used
for QA purposes as well.  Should people test the Release candidate
before the [VOTE] thread - perhaps by testing the tagged release- or
the signed RC when it is present in the people.apache.org directory?
Or both.

I think we are still learning how to release ESME correctly.
Obviously, the release manager can't also do the QA by himself.

I've just created a new RC in SVN - tagged
"incubator/esme/tags/apache-esme-1.0-incubating/" which includes the
Security Fix that Ethan has posted. Don't worry about the java-client
- I'm going to remove this from release as it it is currently broken
and we don't to confuse people.

So, please test the RC using the SVN tag and report back in the next
few days if you have tested and what you have tested,

D.

Re: Release process: Question about [VOTE] threads

Posted by Anne Kathrine Petterøe <yo...@gmail.com>.
Great idea to state what went into the vote, especially for the release votes.

/Anne

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <g....@sourcesense.com>.
On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 8:27 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 5:35 PM, Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...I was getting worried that we were irritating our mentors/community by
>> having so many votes on our first release...
>
> No worries as far as I'm concerned.

Same here - it's low-bandwidth and incremental, so don't worry about that.

--
Gianugo Rabellino
M: +44 779 5364 932 / +39 389 44 26 846

Re: Release process: Question about [VOTE] threads

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.

I was getting worried that we were irritating our mentors/community by
having so many votes on our first release. Although I/we have been
through many releases - in a variety of capacities - in our work
environments, I think we are still learning how a release works in
this arena.

D.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.