Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Kevin Burton <bu...@spinn3r.com> on 2009/01/09 20:44:02 UTC

A modest proposal for simplifying zookeeper :)

OK.... so it sounds from the group that there are still reasons to provide
rope in ZK to enable algorithms like leader election.
Couldn't ZK ship higher level interfaces for leader election, mutexes,
semapores, queues, barriers, etc instead of pushing this on developers?

Then the remaining APIs, configuration, event notification, and discovery,
can be used on a simpler, rope free API.

The rope is what's killing me now :)

Kevin

--
Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: A modest proposal for simplifying zookeeper :)

Posted by Kevin Burton <bu...@spinn3r.com>.
Well if that were the direction, goal, I'd feel more comfortable about
recommending ZK......
If a company were to implement some of these algorithms then I suspect
they'd run into a race condition, etc with all that rope.

For my part I'd be willing to contribute the NodeWatcher/NodeListener I
wrote.

Would be nice to have unit test for it that has all possible/unusual race
conditions with ZK.

Kevin

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hi Kevin,