Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org> on 2002/07/02 21:22:41 UTC

Subversion repos dump?

Does anyone have a dump of the SVN repository?  Or is it possible
to do this remotely?

I'd like to have a variety of different repos locally so that I
can test out mod_dav_svn with various repositories.

As I just mentioned, I'm trying to import the linux kernel, but
that's not going too well.  -- justin

Re: Subversion repos dump?

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 04:27:12PM -0500, cmpilato@collab.net wrote:
> > Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org> writes:
> >
> > > Does anyone have a dump of the SVN repository?  Or is it possible
> > > to do this remotely?
> >
> > I've got one up to revision 2090-something.  See
> >
> >    http://newton.ch.collab.net/pub/svn-repos-2092-dumpfile
>
> Ah, cool.
>
> Oh, can you please compress it?  143MB is a lot and I bet it'll
> compress well since it is just text.

Am gzipping now.

Re: Subversion repos dump?

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 04:27:12PM -0500, cmpilato@collab.net wrote:
> Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org> writes:
>
> > Does anyone have a dump of the SVN repository?  Or is it possible
> > to do this remotely?
>
> I've got one up to revision 2090-something.  See
>
>    http://newton.ch.collab.net/pub/svn-repos-2092-dumpfile

Ah, cool.

Oh, can you please compress it?  143MB is a lot and I bet it'll
compress well since it is just text.

My cable modem is creaking under the load.  -- justin

Re: Subversion repos dump?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
Josef Wolf <jw...@raven.inka.de> writes:

> > > If it's really as easy to build httpd --with-ssl as people say, then
> > > we should try to do it the next time we upgrade our server...
> > It is.  I'm happy to assist as usual.
> > Note that it does increase the CPU load on svn.collab.net, which might
> > be one of the reasons it hasn't been done yet.
>
> Would it help to give the ssl-virtual-host low priority and/or
> bandwidth? Given that, those people who don't have to work around broken
> proxies would avoid the ssl and the cpu-load would not increase very much.

It's a 700mhz cpu with 256M ram.  The cpu-load has been negligible up
to now;  I'm not worried about any ssl computation.  :-)

Re: Subversion repos dump?

Posted by Josef Wolf <jw...@raven.inka.de>.
On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 12:44:38AM +0200, Sander Striker wrote:
> [...]

You think it was a joke?!? ;-) ;-)

--
-- Josef Wolf -- jw@raven.inka.de --

Re: Subversion repos dump?

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
"Sander Striker" <st...@apache.org> writes:
> Note that it does increase the CPU load on svn.collab.net, which might
> be one of the reasons it hasn't been done yet.

Oh, that's not the reason, just lack of time.

We're going to turn on ssl next time we upgrade the server, which will
be very soon (in the next week or two).  The only reason we're not
doing it before then is there is always *some* risk associated with a
server change, and we don't want to incur that risk twice when we
could isolate it to one time.

-K

>> I would assume a cronjob for a recent repository dump - so they can
>> download the dumpfile normally through their proxies, load it on a
>> local repository, and access it :)
>
> Sigh, okay, joke taken.  :-)
>
> If it's really as easy to build httpd --with-ssl as people say, then
> we should try to do it the next time we upgrade our server...

It is.  I'm happy to assist as usual.
Note that it does increase the CPU load on svn.collab.net, which might
be one of the reasons it hasn't been done yet.

Sander

Re: Subversion repos dump?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Re: Subversion repos dump?

Posted by Josef Wolf <jw...@raven.inka.de>.
On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 12:43:03AM +0300, Nuutti Kotivuori wrote:
> Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> > Josef Wolf <jw...@raven.inka.de> writes:

> >> Could you set up a cron-job for those people who can't get through
> >> their proxies as long as collab.net don't give https-access to the
> >> repository? 8-D
> > Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking for... a cron-job to do
> > what?
> I would assume a cronjob for a recent repository dump - so they can
> download the dumpfile normally through their proxies, load it on a
> local repository, and access it :)

Exactly! Setting up ssl on collab.net would be better, but for the
meantime... Maybe the dump could be restricted to contain only the
trunk (so that it would be much smaller than the whole repos).

PS: Please remember what I wrote about the asbestos jacket ;)

--
-- Josef Wolf -- jw@raven.inka.de --

Re: Subversion repos dump?

Posted by Nuutti Kotivuori <na...@iki.fi>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> Josef Wolf <jw...@raven.inka.de> writes:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 04:46:45PM -0500, Ben Collins-Sussman
>> wrote:
>> > cmpilato@collab.net writes:
>> >
>> > I just made a dumpfile this morning, using the "latest" dumper
>> > code:
>> >
>> >      http://newton.ch.collab.net/pub/svn-repos-2320-dumpfile.gz
>>
>> Could you set up a cron-job for those people who can't get through
>> their proxies as long as collab.net don't give https-access to the
>> repository? 8-D
>
> Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking for... a cron-job to do
> what?

I would assume a cronjob for a recent repository dump - so they can
download the dumpfile normally through their proxies, load it on a
local repository, and access it :)

-- Naked

Re: Subversion repos dump?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Re: Subversion repos dump?

Posted by Josef Wolf <jw...@raven.inka.de>.
On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 04:46:45PM -0500, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> cmpilato@collab.net writes:
>
> I just made a dumpfile this morning, using the "latest" dumper code:
>
>      http://newton.ch.collab.net/pub/svn-repos-2320-dumpfile.gz

Could you set up a cron-job for those people who can't get through
their proxies as long as collab.net don't give https-access to the
repository? 8-D

PS: I think I should search my asbestos jacket now ;-))

--
-- Josef Wolf -- jw@raven.inka.de --

Re: Subversion repos dump?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

>cmpilato@collab.net writes:
>

>>Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org> writes:
>>

>>>Does anyone have a dump of the SVN repository?  Or is it possible
>>>to do this remotely?
>>>

>>I've got one up to revision 2090-something.  See
>>
>>   http://newton.ch.collab.net/pub/svn-repos-2092-dumpfile
>>

>I just made a dumpfile this morning, using the "latest" dumper code:
>
>     http://newton.ch.collab.net/pub/svn-repos-2320-dumpfile.gz
>
>Incidentally, I was able to successfully load this file into an empty
>repository this morning.  Yay, goodness.

I can load this file on Windows. Took about 1 hour on my sloooow box,
and svnadmin peaked at 28MB, but stayed in a sane 10MB range otherwise.
Strings table is 40MB.

Re: Subversion repos dump?

Posted by Nuutti Kotivuori <na...@iki.fi>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> cmpilato@collab.net writes:
>
>> Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org> writes:
>>
>> > Does anyone have a dump of the SVN repository?  Or is it possible
>> > to do this remotely?
>>
>> I've got one up to revision 2090-something.  See
>>
>>    http://newton.ch.collab.net/pub/svn-repos-2092-dumpfile
>
> I just made a dumpfile this morning, using the "latest" dumper code:
>
>      http://newton.ch.collab.net/pub/svn-repos-2320-dumpfile.gz
>
> Incidentally, I was able to successfully load this file into an
> empty repository this morning.  Yay, goodness.

That should mean that all the dates in the new repository are
ISO8601. You can check this via 'svn log --xml -r1' or something.

Not that I would doubt that they wouldn't be there ofcourse ;)

-- Naked

Re: Subversion repos dump?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
cmpilato@collab.net writes:

> Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org> writes:
>
> > Does anyone have a dump of the SVN repository?  Or is it possible
> > to do this remotely?
>
> I've got one up to revision 2090-something.  See
>
>    http://newton.ch.collab.net/pub/svn-repos-2092-dumpfile

I just made a dumpfile this morning, using the "latest" dumper code:

     http://newton.ch.collab.net/pub/svn-repos-2320-dumpfile.gz

Incidentally, I was able to successfully load this file into an empty
repository this morning.  Yay, goodness.

I gzipped it as well, from 150megs down to 34megs, for your poor creaky
cable modem.