Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/05 06:39:09 UTC

Re: [Camel 3 discussion] Components releases

-1 (non-binding)

I agree with Jon and Claus here. I think there is way more downside-- we already have trouble explaining to users that you can't mix camel-core 2.8.0 with camel-jms 2.7.1 and camel-jetty 2.12.0.  IMHO, additional "meaning" behind a version number will only further complicate things for first-time users.

If you know how to apply a patch and build a custom version for yourself, you can just solve this on your own. Additionally, folks can leverage commercial support to get the same thing. That would seem to narrow the list of folks that would benefit from this to:

 "Folks that do not have commercial support, do not know how to apply a patch on their own AND know that a patch exists to fix their issue. "

My $0.02, but seems like a small audience to me.