Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com> on 2012/08/01 21:49:38 UTC

ij EXPECT command

The localization audit has stumbled across a message related to the ij
EXPECT command. I don't understand this command so I don't know what to
tell the translators. The command is not otherwise documented and is a
NOP unless the undocumented ij.expect property is set to true. I am
unable to make any sense of the header comment for this command in the
ij grammar:

"Will eventually detect the lines that the strings are without special
literals, but for now this is expedient (except for the doubling of
quotes...)

Used to test the previous statement's output. Note that ij must be in
"expect" mode to use this statement, otherwise it is just ignored. This
is due to the overhead of tracking the prior statement's output."

The command and the ij.expect property do not appear in the
documentation for Cloudscape 3.5. It seems that:

1) The command was added after IBM acquired Cloudscape.

2) The command was disabled (by not being documented) at least by the
time that Derby was open-sourced.

Does anyone know what this command is for and whether it is still needed?

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: ij EXPECT command

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
On 8/1/12 3:03 PM, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Rick Hillegas<ri...@oracle.com>  wrote:
>> The localization audit has stumbled across a message related to the ij
>> EXPECT command. I don't understand this command so I don't know what to tell
>> the translators. The command is not otherwise documented and is a NOP unless
>> the undocumented ij.expect property is set to true. I am unable to make any
>> sense of the header comment for this command in the ij grammar:
>>
>> "Will eventually detect the lines that the strings are without special
>> literals, but for now this is expedient (except for the doubling of
>> quotes...)
>>
>> Used to test the previous statement's output. Note that ij must be in
>> "expect" mode to use this statement, otherwise it is just ignored. This is
>> due to the overhead of tracking the prior statement's output."
>>
>> The command and the ij.expect property do not appear in the documentation
>> for Cloudscape 3.5. It seems that:
>>
>> 1) The command was added after IBM acquired Cloudscape.
>>
>> 2) The command was disabled (by not being documented) at least by the time
>> that Derby was open-sourced.
>>
>> Does anyone know what this command is for and whether it is still needed?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Rick
> I checked the ancient version control records for cloudscape for
> hints...This section of ij.jj has remained untouched since it was
> first put in, in April 1998.
> (for reference, the branch for 1.5 of Cloudscape was created Sept
> 1998, the branch for 3.6 was created Oct 2000).
>
> The comment for the check-in was:
> "new ij commands: set connection, connect as, disconnect all,
> 	show connections, protocol; and property ij.protocol.
> 	prototype of expect, not yet fully implemented (always passes).
> 	new ij entry point"
>
> So looks like the expect command was never finished.
>
> Myrna

Thanks, Myrna. Based on your response, I tried out the EXPECT command on
Cloudscape 3.5. Sure enough, EXPECT is a legal ij command in Cloudscape
3.5 and it's a NOP there too.

The EXPECT production calls the noteExpect() method in ij.jj. The
noteExpect() method doesn't do anything useful as far as I can see.

There are no tests for this vacuous command. This looks like an
abandoned effort which was never exposed to users. I have filed
DERBY-5890 to remove this command.

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: ij EXPECT command