Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by Diego Jancic <di...@engineerica.com> on 2009/08/04 15:51:28 UTC

Mixed Logs

Hi Guys,

I've got an application that uses log4net everywhere and logs a lot of
things. Yesterday I leave running some hardware stress tests all the night,
and today I found something weird in the logs.

The app ran near 1000 test, and 2 of them failed, but just before the failed
test it logged something like this:

2009-08-04 04:42:41,846 [1] DEBUG
XXX.Communications.Messages.ReadMemoryMessage - Downloading memory. Start:
5120 -- Length: 1024

2009-08-04 04:42:54,046 [1] DEBUG
XXX.Communications.Messages.ReadMemoryMessage - Downloading memory. Start:
6144 -- Length: 412

2009-08-04 04:42:42,073 [1] INFO  XXX.UI.Admin.Win.MainForm - Test completed
OK!

2009-08-04 04:42:54,049 [1] INFO  XXX.UI.Admin.Win.MainForm -

2009-08-04 04:42:54,050 [1] INFO  XXX.UI.Admin.Win.MainForm - Cleaning scans
before start.

Look at the 3rd log, it's second part (42) is between 2 logs that happened
after it (second 54)

Well, it's hard to reproduce the problem in the application. Do you know why
it could happen?

Thanks,
Diego

RE: Mixed Logs

Posted by Diego Jancic <di...@engineerica.com>.
No Ross, I forgot to say this, but it's a single process (maybe multiple
threads running when that fails) on a single machine with logging in a text
file.

We've developed a USB device that stores information among other things, and
the app is running a test like this hundreds of times (not in parallel):

-          Clear all the information in the device

-          Create information

-          Download it

-          Verify it

Threads might exist because of the USB driver, the UI, and other things, but
the tests run always one at a time.

Thanks,

Diego

FW: Mixed Logs

Posted by Diego Jancic <di...@engineerica.com>.
Hi,

Can you help with this? I don't know if log4net is using thread inside or
something that can produce such behavior when locking in an appender.

What happens if an appender takes much time to complete or throws an
exception, are the other ones going to success?

Thanks,

Diego

Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 09:05:09 -0500
From: rosshinkley@gmail.com
To: log4net-user@logging.apache.org

[...]

  _____

Windows Live Messenger: Thanks for 10 great years-enjoy free winks and
emoticons. Get <http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/157562755/direct/01/>  Them Now

RE: Mixed Logs

Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 09:05:09 -0500
From: rosshinkley@gmail.com
To: log4net-user@logging.apache.org

emoticons. Get Them Now <http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/157562755/direct/01/>

RE: Mixed Logs

Re: Mixed Logs

Posted by Ross Hinkley <ro...@gmail.com>.
Karim,

RE: Mixed Logs

Posted by Diego Jancic <di...@engineerica.com>.
Yes, it is.

Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 09:05:09 -0500
From: rosshinkley@gmail.com
To: log4net-user@logging.apache.org

emoticons. Get Them <http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/157562755/direct/01/>  Now

RE: Mixed Logs

Posted by Karim Bourouba <ka...@hotmail.com>.
I may be mis-reading this, but isnt the value after the timestamp the thread ID?

Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 09:05:09 -0500
From: rosshinkley@gmail.com
To: log4net-user@logging.apache.org

Do these processes run on different computers?

Correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't log4net use local system time for timestamps (the time from the logging machine, not necessarily where the log is located)?

-Ross

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 8:51 AM, Diego Jancic <di...@engineerica.com> wrote:

Hi Guys,

I’ve got an application that uses log4net everywhere and logs a lot of things. Yesterday I leave running some hardware stress tests all the night, and today I found something weird in the logs.

The app ran near 1000 test, and 2 of them failed, but just before the failed test it logged something like this:

2009-08-04 04:42:41,846 [1] DEBUG XXX.Communications.Messages.ReadMemoryMessage - Downloading memory. Start: 5120 -- Length: 1024

2009-08-04 04:42:54,046 [1] DEBUG XXX.Communications.Messages.ReadMemoryMessage - Downloading memory. Start: 6144 -- Length: 412

2009-08-04 04:42:42,073 [1] INFO  XXX.UI.Admin.Win.MainForm - Test completed OK!

2009-08-04 04:42:54,049 [1] INFO  XXX.UI.Admin.Win.MainForm - -----------------------------------------------------

2009-08-04 04:42:54,050 [1] INFO  XXX.UI.Admin.Win.MainForm - Cleaning scans before start.

Look at the 3rd log, it’s second part (42) is between 2 logs that happened after it (second 54)

Well, it’s hard to reproduce the problem in the application. Do you know why it could happen?

Thanks,
Diego

Windows Live Messenger: Celebrate 10 amazing years with free winks and emoticons.
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/157562755/direct/01/

Re: Mixed Logs

Posted by Ross Hinkley <ro...@gmail.com>.