Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jeffrey Trimble <jt...@cc.ysu.edu> on 2009/03/04 18:15:03 UTC

Unix daemon fails to compile

I'm running an IBM POWER server, AIX 5.3 and having the following
error appear when configuring
jsvc.

checking for ranlib... ranlib
*** Host support ***
checking C flags dependant on host system type... failed
configure: error: Unsupported operating system "aix5.3.0.0"

So, is there a  switch that I need to enter to make it configure
correctly?  I've never had
to set CFLAGS before, so any assistance would be nice.

TIA,

Jeffrey Trimble
System LIbrarian
William F.  Maag Library
Youngstown State University
330.941.2483 (Office)
jtrimble@cc.ysu.edu
http://www.maag.ysu.edu
http://digital.maag.ysu.edu

Re: Unix daemon fails to compile

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"Rusty Wright" <ru...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> jsvc is part of Apache Commons isn't it?  Have you tried their mailing
> list?
>
> http://commons.apache.org/daemon/mail-lists.html

Won't be much of a help, since the committers that work on jsvc hang out
here as well.

> Jeffrey Trimble wrote:
>> I'm running an IBM POWER server, AIX 5.3 and having the following error
>> appear when configuring
>> jsvc.
>>
>> checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
>> checking for ranlib... ranlib
>> *** Host support ***
>> checking C flags dependant on host system type... failed
>> configure: error: Unsupported operating system "aix5.3.0.0"
>>
>> So, is there a  switch that I need to enter to make it configure
>> correctly?  I've never had
>> to set CFLAGS before, so any assistance would be nice.

To get this up and running, you need to modify
src/native/unix/support/apsupport.m4 to include aix*).  Then from
src/native/unix run the command:
  $ support/buildconf.sh
to regenerate the configure file (requires that autoconf is installed).  If
you get it working, then please open an issue at
https://issues.apache.org/jira for commons-daemon, and attach a patch.  The
other *nix should give you an idea of what needs to be set.

I don't have access to an aix box, so can't be of more help than this.  It's
possible that one of the other developers does, in which case I'm guessing
that they will chime in.

Posted by Rusty Wright <ru...@gmail.com>.