Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Will Fould <wi...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/23 22:18:06 UTC

stringified enumeration

I realise this may not be the most appropriate list for this question:

I need to internally enumerate (delimit) href name/value pairs.

Is there are "standardly acceptable" way to do this?

http://www.example.com/?fruit::1=grape&fruit::2=apple&fruit::3=banana&color::1=purple&color::2=red&color::3=yellow

thank you in advance.

(w)

Re: stringified enumeration

Posted by Michael Peters <mp...@plusthree.com>.
Will Fould wrote:
> I realise this may not be the most appropriate list for this question:
>
> I need to internally enumerate (delimit) href name/value pairs.
>
> Is there are "standardly acceptable" way to do this?
>
> http://www.example.com/?fruit::1=grape&fruit::2=apple&fruit::3=banana&color::1=purple&color::2=red&color::3=yellow
> <http://www.example.com/?fruit::1=grape&fruit::2=apple&fruit::3=banana&color::1=purple&color::2=red&color::3=yellow>

I've been using JSON recently for all my serialization needs. It would of course
need to be URL encoded.

I can't tell whether you're trying to get a structure like this:

{
  fruit : ['grape', 'apple', 'banana' ],
  color : ['purple', 'red', 'yellow' ]
}

or like this:

{
  grape  => 'purple',
  apple  => 'red',
  banana => 'yellow',
}

I'm assuming the latter. The JSON looks like this (generating this JSON is
really easy if you're using a modern JavaScript framework).

{
  grape : 'purple',
  apple : 'red',
  banana : 'yellow'
}

And the URL will look like
http://www.example.com?fruit=%7Bgrape%3A'purple'%2Capple%3A'red'%2Cbanana%3A'yellow'%7D

And then you can use JSON, or JSON::XS, JSON::Syck or whatever JSON module you
want from CPAN to deserialize it into a Perl structure on your server side.

--
Michael Peters
Developer