Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Hao Lieu <ha...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/27 20:47:42 UTC

using maven

Hi,

probably not the best place to ask this question, but try a hail mary.
new to maven, so not quite sure the best practices for it, but it is
standard practice to run mvn through the cmd prompt?

i been trying to build/install the full trunk of openejb by executing maven
through eclipse, but it's failing about 1/2 way through the testing.
when i run mvn -Dassemble clean install through cmd it runs all the way
through successfully.
for simple projects like the examples, running mvn install through eclipse
completed the full test suite no prob.
but for multiple modules, it doesn't seem to be working.

maybe that i'm missing the full cmd parameters when running through eclipse

Re: using maven

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
No harm in asking :-)

I don't use eclipse, and I build using the command line mvn.  I think there's some kind of IDEA maven integration I could try but I never have....

Is the "run maven from eclipse" part of m2e?

david jencks

Re: using maven

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.
Couple of things with eclipse and maven:-
1. If you are using m2eclipse plugin, then most probably it is using its
in-built maven 3.0. You can go to Window > Preferences and point maven to
the one installed on your machine.
2. Maven in eclipse requires that your eclipse starts by using a jdk rather
than a jre. You will need to edit eclipse.ini and set the -vm option to
javaw.exe in a jdk. Remember, the order of entries is important in
eclipse.ini (more here -
http://karanmalhi.blogspot.com/2010/04/how-to-correctly-make-entries-in.html
)
3. When you run maven within eclipse, you can customize the build by
right-clicking on the project and choosing Run As > Maven Build. This opens
the Run configuration and you can then specify the goals, profiles and
parameters. This allows you to run a custom build like mvn clean install
-Dassemble.

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Hao Lieu <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> probably not the best place to ask this question, but try a hail mary.
> new to maven, so not quite sure the best practices for it, but it is
> standard practice to run mvn through the cmd prompt?
>
> i been trying to build/install the full trunk of openejb by executing maven
> through eclipse, but it's failing about 1/2 way through the testing.
> when i run mvn -Dassemble clean install through cmd it runs all the way
> through successfully.
> for simple projects like the examples, running mvn install through eclipse
> completed the full test suite no prob.
> but for multiple modules, it doesn't seem to be working.
>
> maybe that i'm missing the full cmd parameters when running through eclipse

Karan Singh Malhi

Re: using maven

Posted by Hao Lieu <ha...@gmail.com>.
Thanks David/Karan,

those 3 fixed it for me.
1. pointing away from default maven (3.0) to the installed maven (2.2.1)
2. set in eclipse.ini to jdk instead of jre
3. customizing the mvn build

getting the same results in cmd as in m2eclipse plugin