Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com> on 2002/11/25 16:48:12 UTC

[SUMMARY] Tomcat 4.1.12 and IE delays up to 5 mins to response.

Hi to all!

I just want to share new info about the bad response time problem between
Tomcat 4.1.12 and MS IE 6.0.

I found that the performance of Tomcat can be improved setting the options:

enableLookups="false"
tcpNoDelay="true"

in the <Connector className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector">

At the end the config must be:

<!-- Define a non-SSL Coyote HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8080 -->
               enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443"
               useURIValidationHack="false" tcpNoDelay="true"/>

I hope I will help people with the same problem.

Best regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

P.S: For development I am currently using the Tomcat 4.1.15 (alpha
version) and Cocoon 2.1dev works fine. Also using J2SDK 1.4.1_01 on Red
Hat Linux 8.0
For production. I am using Tomcat 4.1.12, Cocoon 2.1 dev, J2SDK 1.4.1_01
and Red Hat Linux 8.0

Re: [SUMMARY] Tomcat 4.1.12 and IE delays up to 5 mins to response.

Posted by Ted Garrett <tg...@treev.com>.
Perhaps the term 'misconfigured network' IS a little bit harsh, but you
overlook a feature of DHCP which can alleviate this issue and is quite
necessary in a heterogenous network.  DHCP can, after all update DNS with
the hostname <-> IP Address mappings needed automatically.  So while your
network is configured to MINIMALLY work within the constraints of only
having microsoft products able to find name to address mapping...  Anything
standards-based is going to need your network admin to take the additional
step of providing dynamic DHCP <-> DNS updates.

Not hard to do.

--On Tuesday, November 26, 2002 12:58:01 PM +0700 Antonio Gallardo

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Jacob L E Blain Christen dijo:
>> Jacob L E Blain Christen dijo:
>> >
>> it's simply an artifact of a misconfigured network
>> Not really, you can use WINS instaead of DNS inside your network. And
>> that
>
> [snip]
>
> so
> again i will re-state that this issue concerns neither cocoon, tomcat,
> apache, or IE.  it is strictly a configuration issue with the network,
> it just so happens that for you the best solution was to configure
> tomcat to behave more rationally within your network setup.
>
> sorry to ruffle your feathers.
>
> --
> jacob

Yes Jacob, you are partially right. This is a issue of Tomcat. But I feel
that I will post this commment in the Cocoon maillist, because many people
asked about that (my self included) and nobody can send a simply mail
telling how to resolve.

By the way this is a trick recommended by Tomcat and Apache gurus to
improve the performance of the server regardless of your network config.

Also is very curious that this problem is ONLY with Tomcat-MS IE
combination. It does not happpen with Mozilla or Konqueror. Why? I dont
know. The only thing I know is that this bug was solved with this simple
config option. Tomcat people is aware of that and as long as I know it
will be resolved in the next version of Tomcat. I am currently using
Tomcat 4.1.12 in production since this Monday and 4.1.15 for devel. I
never changed my network config and everything works well before Tomcat
version 4.1.12.

Many people here ask many diferent other problems that nothing have to do
with Cocoon. For example XSL things. But I think that if there is a simple
solutions to resolve an issue I prefer to send back a mail with the
solutions instead of refering where is a mail list that cover the asked
topic.

sorry to ruffle your feathers too :-D

Antonio Gallardo

Re: [SUMMARY] Tomcat 4.1.12 and IE delays up to 5 mins to response.

Posted by Jacob L E Blain Christen <ja...@entheal.com>.
> Jacob L E Blain Christen dijo:
> >> enableLookups="false"
> >
> it's simply an artifact of a misconfigured network
> Not really, you can use WINS instaead of DNS inside your network. And that

[snip]

you missed the point i was trying to make.  _regardless_ of the names
lookup system you are using, if the box that tomcat sits on has no way
of matching names to ip's (and vice versa) then you will have this poor
performance which is symptomatic of not telling the tomcat box where
to look to attempt to make these matchings.  for your setup and purposes
you seem to have found a quite workable solution (the option is there for
a reason afterall) which is specific to _your_ network setup.  so again

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.

Posted by Jacob L E Blain Christen <ja...@entheal.com>.
> enableLookups="false"

sounds like a classically misconfigured DNS on the box that your
tomcat resides.  it was trying to log host names but those were timing out
causing poor poor response in the server.  this isn't a cocoon, tomcat,
or even an IE issue it's simply an artifact of a misconfigured network

--
jacob