Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by Rodrick Brown <ro...@orchard-app.com> on 2015/12/01 08:00:15 UTC

Re: Team organization around Mesos cluster

Right now we're using constraits on the slaves to isolate different workloads
to ensure one team can't DOS everyone else and this has been working very well
for us so far.

wrote:

> We are in a similar stage and also have similar questions, starting with
about 20 devops teams, but that could grow to over 50 teams.

> I am a bit worried having all these teams work in a shared mesos cluster.

> * they share the name-space for (marathon) applications

> * share all the mesos slave machines ==&gt; share the CPU, share the same
diskspace, share the same memory, share the file hierarchy

> * I am not aware of any means to authorize the use of resources in the
cluster

> * within marathon you can run a task with any userid, even root (if you run
mesos slave with root)

> * hard to audit (who did what in the cluster)

> Having a couple of years experience with these same teams in a more classic
environment (JEE AppServers), I would opt for a Mesos cluster per devops and
take the "infrastructure waste" for granted.

> In short the question is how to properly operate the cluster(s), and how
"multi tenant proof" is it, right?

&lt;[dsg123456789@gmail.com](mailto:dsg123456789@gmail.com)&gt; wrote:

>> We have a three-tier model:

>> One team manages Mesos itself (from machine provioning to installing &amp;
configuring Mesos).

>> A small group of teams each manage the "approved" production-quality
frameworks; these teams are clients of the team above.

>> Many teams use the frameworks, they are clients of the framework teams.

>> Thus one team provides infrastructure, several teams provide different
platforms (services, batch computing, etc), and many other teams consume the
platforms for their particular applications.

>> On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 11:55 AM
[aurelien.dehay@gmail.com](mailto:aurelien.dehay@gmail.com)
&lt;[aurelien.dehay@gmail.com](mailto:aurelien.dehay@gmail.com)&gt; wrote:

>>> Hello.

>>> I'm in the process of demonstrate and talk about mesos all around my
company. Everybody is quite interested, by anytime we talk, they always raise
the "operation" problem.

>>> We are a quite big company (100k in France), we're doing operation and
system management the "old way", with big operation team taking care of a lot
of projects, with dozen of operating procedure for each task (from Apache
restart to database restoration). Project team think that Mesos fits quite
badly in this way of doing things, and wonder how "real people" running a
Mesos cluster are doing.

>>> Therefore, If you don't mind how you are doing things for operations,
without disclosing any sensible information of course, any info would be
appreciated.

>>> Thanks.

--
*NOTICE TO RECIPIENTS*: This communication is confidential and intended for
the use of the addressee only. If you are not an intended recipient of this
communication, please delete it immediately and notify the sender by return
email. Unauthorized reading, dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is prohibited. This communication does not constitute an
offer to sell or a solicitation of an indication of interest to purchase
any loan, security or any other financial product or instrument, nor is it
an offer to sell or a solicitation of an indication of interest to purchase
any products or services to any persons who are prohibited from receiving
such information under applicable law. The contents of this communication
may not be accurate or complete and are subject to change without notice.
As such, Orchard App, Inc. (including its subsidiaries and affiliates,
"Orchard") makes no representation regarding the accuracy or completeness
of the information contained herein. The intended recipient is advised to
consult its own professional advisors, including those specializing in
legal, tax and accounting matters. Orchard does not provide legal, tax or
accounting advice.