Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Karr, David" <Da...@wamu.net> on 2003/04/30 20:35:31 UTC

TC4.1.18: Other user gets "UnknownHostException: java.sun.com" on validating web.xml

I have JDK 1.2.2 and TC 4.1.18 working fine on my WinXP box.  I can
build and deploy WARs with no problem.  I was trying to set up another
person with the same environment, and we're seeing a problem I don't
fully understand.

We work in an authenticated proxy environment, so Tomcat will not be
able to get to http://java.sun.com/... To validate from the DTD.  I
thought that Tomcat was supposed to bypass that, and read the DTD from a
local directory, but after searching through the Tomcat distribution,
I'm not sure where it's going to find it, as I didn't see either the 2.2
or 2.3 dtd.

When Tomcat validates the web.xml file on the other box, we get an
"UnknownHostException: java.sun.com", but I don't see that on my box.

I saw brief mentions of problems like this in various archives, but I
couldn't see a clear answer.