Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Michael Smith <mj...@cursci.co.uk> on 1996/10/03 10:45:07 UTC

Stopping htaccess files from being seen

It seems like a really obvious question but how do I stop people from
seeing htaccess files in the docs directory (now that I'm using
mod_rewrite I have htaccess files here).  I guess I could rewrite them
to somewhere else but is there a global solution to stop them being
viewed?

Mike

Re: Stopping htaccess files from being seen

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>.
On Thu, 3 Oct 1996, Michael Smith wrote:

> It seems like a really obvious question but how do I stop people from
> seeing htaccess files in the docs directory (now that I'm using
> mod_rewrite I have htaccess files here).  I guess I could rewrite them
> to somewhere else but is there a global solution to stop them being
> viewed?

<Files */.htaccess>
deny from all
allow from none
</Files>

(in 1.2 only, of course. In 1.1 you can use <Location> to the same
effect, but that's not its intended purpose. In 1.0 you can't do it at
all.)

Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>      The Apache HTTP Server