Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christian Röttger <ch...@uni-muenster.de> on 2011/11/09 00:08:46 UTC

tomcat doesnt want to start

Hello list,

i updated my ubuntu server to tomcat 6.0.24. (a kernel update was also
included) After a reboot tomcat doesn't want to start.
The status is not running and when i want to start it, it always says:
/etc/init.d/tomcat6 start
  * Starting Tomcat servlet engine tomcat6                   [fail]
the same with force-reload

when i try to look at the logs in /var/log/tomcat i don't get access
sudo cat /var/log$ cd tomcat6/
-bash: cd: tomcat6/: Keine Berechtigung

Where should i look?
Can anyone provide some help how to get it running again?

thanks,
christian

RE: tomcat doesnt want to start

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Christian Röttger [mailto:chris.roettger@uni-muenster.de]
> Subject: tomcat doesnt want to start

> i updated my ubuntu server to tomcat 6.0.24. (a kernel update was also
> included) After a reboot tomcat doesn't want to start.

> Can anyone provide some help how to get it running again?

Unfortunately, what you've got is a 3rd-party repackaged version of Tomcat, with a very different file structure and component set than that of a standard Tomcat download.  You really need someone familiar with Ubuntu, rather than Tomcat.

If you can install a real Tomcat from tomcat.apache.org, then we can help you with that.

 - Chuck

Re: tomcat doesnt want to start

Posted by Brian Burch <br...@pingtoo.com>.
On 09/11/11 15:46, Daniel Baktiar wrote:
> Probably you should instead do this:
>
> $ cat /var/log/tomcat6
>
> (I suspect it's the log file, not a tomcat6 folder).

No, it is because of permissions on the /var/log/tomcat6 directory...
you cannot cd to that directory as an ordinary user.

so these will work:

sudo ls -l /var/log/tomcat6
sudo less /var/log/tomcat6/catalina.out

etc..