Posted to women@apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2005/08/12 17:42:48 UTC

women@apache.org mail list description

Brian W. Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On Aug 12, 2005, at 4:32 AM, David Crossley wrote:
>> <snippage>
>> It is way too early for this decision.
>>
>> The first thing that we should do is to
>> concisely define the purpose of this list.
>> Say 50 words that can be sent in response to
>> the women-info@a.o command.
>>
>> When we know what our purpose is, then the
>> audience will become apparent, and there will
>> probably be no need to vote.
>

>     "Increase the participation of women at the ASF"

here's a more verbose suggestion:

in Apache Software Foundation projects.  This list is open to anyone who
participates in an Apache project to discuss topics that will promote
even greater participation and contributions by women.  Public archives
are available for this list.

If that's too general and we want to narrow the focus (eliminate
"strategic" and emphasize "tactical"):

in Apache Software Foundation projects.  This list is open to anyone who
participates in an Apache project to discuss topics that will promote
even greater participation and contributions by women, including what
the ASF is and how it works as well as practical aspects of how to
participate on a project, such as how to use the Apache infrastructure
tools (web sites, source repositories, bug management tools).  Public
archives are available for this list.

The second seems overly focused to me, but I'm open to suggestion and
modification.

  -jean