Posted to dev@ambari.apache.org by Sujeet Varakhedi <sv...@pivotal.io> on 2014/10/01 20:25:49 UTC

Rendering metrics on Ambari UI

Hi all,
For the new HAWQ stack definition I am able publish metrics to Ganglia via
gmond python plugins and via gmetrics tool running inside a cron job. I can
see those metrics on the Ganglia web UI. (http://agent1/ganglia)
Now,  I am trying to get metrics rendered on the Amabri UI (Summary page if
possible). What is the mechanism to enable that? Also what is role of
metrics.json file in process?

Thanks
Sujeet

Re: Rendering metrics on Ambari UI

Posted by Sujeet Varakhedi <sv...@pivotal.io>.
Ahh. Thanks guys.

Sujeet

Posted by Yusaku Sako <yu...@hortonworks.com>.
Thanks Saman.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Rendering metrics on Ambari UI

Posted by Saman Alvi <sa...@pivotal.io>.
We'll look into that.

+Ivan

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 12:25 PM, Yusaku Sako <yu...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Hi Sujeet,
>
> Currently, which metrics graphs to display in the service pages is
> hardcoded in ambari-web code.
> We should make it such that 1) the graphs to display are declared in the
> stack definition for each service and 2) ambari-web code needs to load this
> information and display appropriate graphs under the service page.
>
> I have opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-7601 to handle
> this.
>
> Yusaku
>

> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Siddharth Wagle <sw...@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Sujeet,
> >
> > The metrics.json file serves as a mapping between what is exposed by
> Ambari
> > server API and the name of the metric as it is stored by Ganglia.
> > (In fact the file name represents the metric name in the ganglia rrd
> > database)
> >
> > You would need to add your metrics to the metrics.json file and once you
> do
> > that, you should be able to query the Service Component or the Host
> > Component for that metric using REST API.
> >
> > The UI hook up to plot that metric is something UI devs can comment on.
> >
> > -Sid
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 11:25 AM, Sujeet Varakhedi <svarakhedi@pivotal.io
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > > For the new HAWQ stack definition I am able publish metrics to Ganglia
> > via
> > > gmond python plugins and via gmetrics tool running inside a cron job. I
> > can
> > > see those metrics on the Ganglia web UI. (http://agent1/ganglia)
> > > Now,  I am trying to get metrics rendered on the Amabri UI (Summary
> page
> > if
> > > possible). What is the mechanism to enable that? Also what is role of
> > > metrics.json file in process?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Sujeet
> > >

> > --
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> that
> immediately

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Saman Alvi
Agile Engineer
salvi@pivotallabs.com

Re: Rendering metrics on Ambari UI

Posted by Yusaku Sako <yu...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Sujeet,

wrote:

> Hi Sujeet,
>
> The metrics.json file serves as a mapping between what is exposed by Ambari
> server API and the name of the metric as it is stored by Ganglia.
> (In fact the file name represents the metric name in the ganglia rrd
> database)
>
> You would need to add your metrics to the metrics.json file and once you do
> that, you should be able to query the Service Component or the Host
> Component for that metric using REST API.
>
> The UI hook up to plot that metric is something UI devs can comment on.
>
> -Sid
>
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 11:25 AM, Sujeet Varakhedi <sv...@pivotal.io>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > For the new HAWQ stack definition I am able publish metrics to Ganglia
> via
> > gmond python plugins and via gmetrics tool running inside a cron job. I
> can
> > see those metrics on the Ganglia web UI. (http://agent1/ganglia)
> > Now,  I am trying to get metrics rendered on the Amabri UI (Summary page
> if
> > possible). What is the mechanism to enable that? Also what is role of
> > metrics.json file in process?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Sujeet
> >

> --