Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by JT DeLys <jt...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/27 02:42:10 UTC

attempt to manually remove address from AWL failing

I'm trying to /remove/ an address from my current AWL.

Here's the active whitelist,

 % cd /usr/local/etc/spamassassin/.spamassassin/

 % ls -al auto-whitelist
   -rw-rw---- 1 saadmin saadmin 10248192 Jun 26 16:04 auto-whitelist

It contains this address,

 % check_whitelist auto-whitelist | grep carparts | grep info
   -1.5      (-16.6/11)  --  info@carparts.com|ip=11.222

I remove it, apparently successfully,

 % spamassassin --nocreate-prefs --remove-addr-from-whitelist=info@carparts.com
   SpamAssassin auto-whitelist: removing address: info@carparts.com

But the address still appears to be in the database,

 % check_whitelist auto-whitelist | grep carparts | grep info
   -1.5      (-16.6/11)  --  info@carparts.com|ip=11.222

Any hints as to what I'm doing incorrectly?

    JTDeLys

[resolved] attempt to manually remove address from AWL failing

Posted by JT DeLys <jt...@gmail.com>.
FYI.

After chatting in #irc, checking execution with DEBUG enabled

   spamassassin --debug --remove-addr-from-whitelist ...

clearly shows the problem,

	[24453] dbg: auto-whitelist: tie-ing to DB file of type DB_File R/W in
/var/root/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist

Checking the documentation, I'd only found the path-related config
option "bayes_path".

"perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::AutoWhitelist" showed no
additional/different option, so I'd assumed -- incorrectly -- set the
path for auto_whitelist 'stuff', too.

Turns out that I /should/ have check the /plugin/ doc instead,

   perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::AWL

which, does offer an "auto_whitelist_path" config option.

Setting that in local.cf cures the problem; 'removed' addresses are
now, in fact, removed.

It is a little disconcerting, that the 'success' message @ command
execution -- using, apparently, the WRONG db where the target addr
does NOT exist -- makes no mention of a problem.

Rather, the impression (SpamAssassin auto-whitelist: removing address:
info@... ) is that it's doing/done what I've asked it to.

Perhaps a "no such address found" might be helpful?

(Yes, I know now -- "-D".)

Thanks,

  JTDeLys