Posted to small-events-discuss@apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> on 2012/06/20 12:02:04 UTC

OpenOffice.org and ACEU

The OpenOffice podling is very eager to get on with planning their
event. Of course this is *very* hard for them to do when there is so
little information about what the event will look like and what
options are available to them.

We need to recognise that AOO is not a "normal" Apache project. As OOo
it had regular conferences of its own. It has an army of volunteers
and it has an extremely high profile with end users. Furthermore, it
has cash available (as a by-product of the OOo fundraising efforts) to
make contributions towards its own event needs and TAC requirements.

As an AOO mentor and a member of ConCom I have encouraged them to just
get on with planning. I've indicated that I will work with ConCom to
ensure that their plans will, wherever practical and non-conflicting
with ACEU objectives, be incorporated into the broader event. I'm
watching their planning and will try and course correct if I see
problems arising. I've also asked them to make sure they report
regularly here.

Don already proposed a an AOO portion of the event [1] explaining AOO
"can easily fill (1) day worth of sessions, plus generate activity in
side sesssions; e.g. hacking, etc. " Don is on this list.

The community is coordinating planning at [2]

If there are any significant concerns about the potential of this (and
me) railroading this let me know what aspects worry you and I'll try
and ensure the planning team are aware, but we are just a few months
away now and planning needs to start.

Ross

[1] http://s.apache.org/pZE
[2] http://s.apache.org/4cp

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)

Re: OpenOffice.org and ACEU

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 20 June 2012 14:06, Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 3:02 AM, Ross Gardler
> <rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:
>> We need to recognise that AOO is not a "normal" Apache project. As OOo
>
> I don't think AOO is very different from other Apache projects in this
> regard.  Subversion has routinely held its own events in the past
> (even since joining the ASF) - most recently, last week in Berlin.

Yes, poor phrasing on my part - what I meant was that AOO, like some
other projects but unlike most, has experience of running its own
events.

> I don't see any obstacles here - if the AOO community wants to
> organize an event, go for it!  -- justin

Sure, but I think you missed a nuance here. This "event" would be
within the ACEU event and therefore there is a potential for
conflicting with as yet undefined goals of ACEU.

It would probably have helped if I'd sent it to the right list ;-) -
reposting now.

Ross

Re: OpenOffice.org and ACEU

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.