Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Simone Gianni <s....@thebug.it> on 2004/08/30 11:49:37 UTC

Simple questions about versioning

Hi all,
I'm experimenting a bit with versioning, but I have some questions I
cannot find an answer to :

- I know how to put a file under version control, but how do I REMOVE it
from version control? I mean, I'm working hard on the file test.xml, so
I want to keep versions, but after some time I decide I've finished
working on it, and that I don't need all the versions in the version
history and that future updates must not generate new versions. Is there
a way to tell a webdav server "stop versioning this resource"? Other
than deleting it and all its versions and creating the file again?

- The DAV:creator-displayname is a read only property? Because 2.1M1 is
ignoring my proppatch on it without giving any error, but still setting
the logged user name as creator-displayname of every new version.

- When I DELETE a resource, the version history and all the versions of
that resource are not deleted as stated in the RFC, but how can I access
the version history after the file has been deleted?

If someone can explain this, will have my eternal appreciation.:D

Ciao,
Simone Gianni

Re: Simple questions about versioning

Posted by Simone Gianni <s....@thebug.it>.

Ingo Brunberg wrote:

>>- I know how to put a file under version control, but how do I REMOVE it
>>from version control?
>>
>I don't think so, at least I have never heard of an UNVERSION-CONTROL
>method or something similar. But the way you describe is simple and
>sufficient for that purpose.

For who's intrested it's even simpler : just copy the resource with
another name, delete the original, rename the copied one with the old
name. The COPY method does not create a version-controlled resource.

Posted by Simone Gianni <s....@thebug.it>.
Ingo Brunberg wrote:

>>- The DAV:creator-displayname is a read only property? Because 2.1M1 is
>>ignoring my proppatch on it without giving any error, but still setting
>>the logged user name as creator-displayname of every new version.
>>

>Why would you want to modify it? That sounds like an illegal attempt
>to steal somone else's credit.

You're absolutely right, but the RFC seems to state that it's possible
to write in it whatever you want, since it's a "display" property :
-- 3.1.2 DAV:creator-displayname
This property contains a description of the creator of the resource that
is suitable for presentation to a user. The DAV:creator-displayname of a
version can be used to indicate who created that version.

Just wanted to know if it was a bug or if it is a read-only property.

Thanks a lot for your quick answers!

Posted by Ingo Brunberg <ib...@fiz-chemie.de>.
> Hi all,
> I'm experimenting a bit with versioning, but I have some questions I
> cannot find an answer to :
>
> - I know how to put a file under version control, but how do I REMOVE it
> from version control? I mean, I'm working hard on the file test.xml, so
> I want to keep versions, but after some time I decide I've finished
> working on it, and that I don't need all the versions in the version
> history and that future updates must not generate new versions. Is there
> a way to tell a webdav server "stop versioning this resource"? Other
> than deleting it and all its versions and creating the file again?

I don't think so, at least I have never heard of an UNVERSION-CONTROL
method or something similar. But the way you describe is simple and
sufficient for that purpose.

> - The DAV:creator-displayname is a read only property? Because 2.1M1 is
> ignoring my proppatch on it without giving any error, but still setting
> the logged user name as creator-displayname of every new version.

Why would you want to modify it? That sounds like an illegal attempt
to steal somone else's credit.

> - When I DELETE a resource, the version history and all the versions of
> that resource are not deleted as stated in the RFC, but how can I access
> the version history after the file has been deleted?

That's not so easy. You have to find it in the history. I'm not sure
what would be the best approach - SEARCH, REPORT or PROPFIND. That
might depend on the information you have about the resource you want
to find. Once found you can download it via GET or simply check it out.

> If someone can explain this, will have my eternal appreciation.:D
>
> Ciao,
> Simone Gianni

Regards,
Ingo