Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Tao Meng <oa...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/23 14:36:00 UTC

Is there any difference between Checkpointed and CheckpointedAsynchronously?

Hi all,
   When I read the source code about checkpoint, I can't find any
difference between Checkpointed and CheckpointedAsynchronously. I can not
sure that I am correct. The doc about `Asynchronous State Snapshots`
is commented out in markdown file.
  I want to know if I am right (there no difference between checkpointed
and checkpintedAsynchronously in release versions.)

Re: Is there any difference between Checkpointed and CheckpointedAsynchronously?

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.
Hi!

"CheckpointedAsynchronously" was a hint to the system that the state
objects could be persisted asynchronously, i.e., that the stateful function
could process data concurrently to the persisting operation.

However, this path was never implemented, so the hint was never used.

Flink 1.2 has not yet added an equivalent interface, because the interface
being there without actual support for asynchronous operator state ended up
confusing users.

Stephan