Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Manjeet Singh <ma...@gmail.com> on 2018/07/11 15:16:27 UTC

Query for OldWals and use of WAl for Hbase indexer

Hi All

I have a query regarding Hbase replication and OldWals

Hbase version 1.2.1

To enable Hbase indexing we use below command on table

alter '<NameOfTable>', {NAME => 'CF1', REPLICATION_SCOPE => 1}

By Doing this actually replication get enabled as hbase-indexer required
it, as per my understanding indexer use hbase WAL (Please correct me if I
am wrong).

so question is How Hbase syncronize with Solr Indexer? What is the role of
replication? what optimization we can apply in order to reduce data size?

I can see that our OldWals are getting filled , if Hmaster it self taking
care why it's reached to 7.2 TB? what if I delete it, does it impact solr
indexing?

7.2 K   21.5 K  /hbase/.hbase-snapshot
0       0       /hbase/.tmp
0       0       /hbase/MasterProcWALs
18.3 G  60.2 G  /hbase/WALs
28.7 G  86.1 G  /hbase/archive
0       0       /hbase/corrupt
1.7 T   5.2 T   /hbase/data
42      126     /hbase/hbase.id
7       21      /hbase/hbase.version
7.2 T   21.6 T  /hbase/oldWALs

Thanks
Manjeet Singh

Re: Query for OldWals and use of WAl for Hbase indexer

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 12:49 PM, Manjeet Singh
<ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Sean for your reply
>
> I still have some question un answered like
> Q1: How Hbase syncronized with Hbase indexer.

The Lily Indexer for HBase (sometimes referred to as the "Lily HBase
Indexer") is an independent project, linked to in my previous email.
They would be best positioned to answer questions you have about how
it works. I suggest you talk with that project.

My understanding is that the Lily Indexer leverages the HBase
replication system to get observe edits as they come into the system
and then applies a corresponding change to the index it maintains.
That means it has all the same configurable options and warnings that
come with any HBase replication set up:

http://hbase.apache.org/1.2/book.html#_cluster_replication

> Q2 What optimization I can apply.

You need to dig into the logs to find out if there is a problem
talking to the indexers or if they are just lagging. If they're
lagging, then I believe you can add more indexer nodes to scale up
effective throughput. The Lily Indexer for HBase project would be
better suited to answer that though.

> Q3 As it's clear from my stats, data in OldWals is quite huge so it's not
> getting clear my HMaster., how can I improve my HDFS space issue due to
> this?

The only way to safely decrease the size of the retained wals is to
make it so they are no longer needed. That means either getting the
Lily Indexer for HBase to catch up or reseting things and using a
batch indexing method to fill in the gap.

Re: Query for OldWals and use of WAl for Hbase indexer

Posted by Reid Chan <re...@outlook.com>.
Please check the comments i leave in your filed jira.

Posted by Manjeet Singh <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi

--
luv all

Re: Query for OldWals and use of WAl for Hbase indexer

Posted by Manjeet Singh <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi

--
luv all

Re: Query for OldWals and use of WAl for Hbase indexer

Posted by Manjeet Singh <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi

--
luv all

Re: Query for OldWals and use of WAl for Hbase indexer

Posted by Reid Chan <re...@outlook.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 7:19 PM, Manjeet Singh
<ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have one more question
>
> If solr is having its own data mean its maintaining data in their shards
> and hbase is maintaining in data folder... Why still oldWals need?

Once the HBase replication system is active and there's a peer (even a
disabled peer) it starts retaining WALs until they have been
successfully acknowledged by all peer clusters. Since the Lily Indexer
for HBase makes use of the replication system to get an stream of
edits, the WALs will stick around until the indexer has said it saw
the edits in them.

Re: Query for OldWals and use of WAl for Hbase indexer

Posted by Manjeet Singh <ma...@gmail.com>.
I have one more question

Posted by Manjeet Singh <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Sean for your reply

--
luv all

Re: Query for OldWals and use of WAl for Hbase indexer

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.